Rust Protection: Fluid Film vs. XF7 vs. WD-40 - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Rust Protection: Fluid Film vs. XF7 vs. WD-40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I'll have to order some Fluid film to treat my firearms, hunting rifles in particular.
Outstanding test JD

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #62

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use the XF7, but not for rust inhibition. I use it because it is a great grease that does not melt off in high heat, and does not stain.

The Fluid Film has worked with 100% satisfaction for the last few months on the guns I've used it on. It is great stuff.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I use the XF7, but not for rust inhibition. I use it because it is a great grease that does not melt off in high heat, and does not stain.
What is your main use for XF7, general lubrication?

And would Fluid Film not be good for what you use XF7 for?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Why would you want to use anything else but Fluid Film, when it is a do all? I switched.

Live free or die

Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #65

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof-milton-fireballs View Post
What is your main use for XF7, general lubrication?

And would Fluid Film not be good for what you use XF7 for?
I use XF7 on the guns that should be greased. M14s, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1911s, O/U shotguns, etc. Guns with looser tolerances work better with grease, as it stays in place. XF7 doesn't melt/run away, even when it is really hot outside.

I've been testing the Fluid Film on the guns that use oil, and it has been 100%, so far. I've been using it on my ARs and it works great. Even after 1,000rds with no cleaning they show no signs of slowing down.

Here in SoCal the rusting is less of a concern than it is in other parts of the country, so my main concern is the lubricating ability.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #66

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Received a sample can a few weeks back and have recently had several chances to try it out on a few Spring clean-up jobs.

First application was on some old rusty gate hinges...considered replacing them since they are old and "creeky"...tried a few shots of Fluid Film on each and what do you know...squeeking is gone, gate swings like it's on ball bearings.

Next up were some garage door rollers, another classic metal-on-metal application....gave each roller a spritz and the door now moves with less rattle and grinding, motor doesn't vibrate as much either...

Next up is an old Black and Decker electric hedge trimmer...sure you all have one. Anyway, it's been in my shed for 2 years since it rusted up and the blades seized...if Fluid Film breaks the rust and gets the blades moving again I will be more than pleased...

Haven't used it on any guns though, need a little more practice calibrating the application...too much and you get what appears like, to me anyway, a mucas like coating, not very asthetic. Not sure I want that in any gun at this point...but that's just me and doesn't in any way question the products merit as a lubricant.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #67

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Here is my review from about a year ago:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/single-best-c-l-p-product-ive-used-31676/

If you mix it 4:1 alcohol/Fluid Film, it makes a first-rate case lube for rifle brass. Put the mixture on a cloth and roll the case lightly across it.

The alcohol dries quickly, leaving a barely-noticeable film on the case. I've not found the film to build up in dies, either (used straight, it will).

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #68

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Nice work JD! good field science

Do you have the specs on it it temperature/viscosity stability?

It might have been interesting to add other salts to the test, like magnesium sulfate along with the sodium chloride. We found seawater chemistry to behave rather differently than just salt water on several types of steels. Complex metal based salts can change long chain hydrocarbon fluids into a tar like material that act really weird. I won't get into what we saw with some synthetics.

I have an performance issue with high temp water and steam with a device, you know the one. I sold the patent on it to another country (friendly to the US) but I am still on the development team.

I never heard of this product, but then there are a lot of things I never heard of.

Just got back stateside

Love between a man and a woman is not an emotion. It is a commitment.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
It's a spray on and wipe off appication. I have been using it for about 4 or 6 months and have had no problems with it adhering to the weapon and being a "problem". Goes on easy, comes off easy with a cloth. The stuff is cost affordable and it's easy to apply.

What's not to like??
So fluid film is wax on wax off?

Karate kid reference ftw!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Here is my review from about a year ago:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...ve-used-31676/

If you mix it 4:1 alcohol/Fluid Film, it makes a first-rate case lube for rifle brass. Put the mixture on a cloth and roll the case lightly across it.

The alcohol dries quickly, leaving a barely-noticeable film on the case. I've not found the film to build up in dies, either (used straight, it will).

Josh
I did the same. Nice technique, thumbs up