Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > rifle bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default rifle bedding

Ok I saw this youtube video where a guy used GB weld to bed the action on his rifle stock that already had piller bedding done to it. My question is does this actually work has anyone tried this?

I'm wanting to bed my mosin but I'd rather use the real deal but I'm just curious about it this is actually usable.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19820 Times on 11253 Posts
Likes Given: 49951

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
Ok I saw this youtube video where a guy used GB weld to bed the action on his rifle stock that already had piller bedding done to it. My question is does this actually work has anyone tried this?

I'm wanting to bed my mosin but I'd rather use the real deal but I'm just curious about it this is actually usable.
i am pretty sure you could. as long as it's stable and not affected by weather or temperature changes, you could use a variety of substances. most bedding products are used for their ease of use.

i used a concrete epoxy on one of my rifles and it worked quite well.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #3

so really the glass bedding is basically just a hard epoxy, I figured it had some special thing that made it the best for bedding not just easy to use and a name.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19820 Times on 11253 Posts
Likes Given: 49951

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
so really the glass bedding is basically just a hard epoxy, I figured it had some special thing that made it the best for bedding not just easy to use and a name.
it has to be able to bond to a variety of surfaces, temperature stable and hard enough to be supportive of the barrel and action. i think they were called glass bedding is because fiberglass resin and a hardner were used. but now they have kits that are pretty much tailer made for doing just rifle stocks and are packaged so that everything needed to bed a rifle stock is included. most of them are quite inexpensive, have pretty decent directions and many can do more than one rifle. the last Brownell's AcraGlas bedding kit i bought did two rifles for the price of $26, so it cost me about $13 to do each rifle in materials. that's pretty cheap IMO.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I used JB weld on my Mosin. Make sure you use plenty of a release agent, I used Turtle wax paste cuz I had it.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I think all barrel bedding compounds are epoxy based. Some have fiberglass flocking to add to give strength some use aluminum powder. JB should work fine. Caution - do not try to use JB Qwik, you need more work time than 5 minutes.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #7

I think I'm just going to go with brownells for bedding stuff, from what i've seen it gives a nice glass finish when it dries I know it's not really going to be seen but I'm odd like that.

BE PREPARED