Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   rifle bedding (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/rifle-bedding-94484/)

unclebear 07-27-2013 01:55 AM

rifle bedding

Ok I saw this youtube video where a guy used GB weld to bed the action on his rifle stock that already had piller bedding done to it. My question is does this actually work has anyone tried this?

I'm wanting to bed my mosin but I'd rather use the real deal but I'm just curious about it this is actually usable.

Axxe55 07-27-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 1316597)
Ok I saw this youtube video where a guy used GB weld to bed the action on his rifle stock that already had piller bedding done to it. My question is does this actually work has anyone tried this?

I'm wanting to bed my mosin but I'd rather use the real deal but I'm just curious about it this is actually usable.

i am pretty sure you could. as long as it's stable and not affected by weather or temperature changes, you could use a variety of substances. most bedding products are used for their ease of use.

i used a concrete epoxy on one of my rifles and it worked quite well.

unclebear 07-27-2013 02:54 AM

so really the glass bedding is basically just a hard epoxy, I figured it had some special thing that made it the best for bedding not just easy to use and a name.

Axxe55 07-27-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 1316647)
so really the glass bedding is basically just a hard epoxy, I figured it had some special thing that made it the best for bedding not just easy to use and a name.

it has to be able to bond to a variety of surfaces, temperature stable and hard enough to be supportive of the barrel and action. i think they were called glass bedding is because fiberglass resin and a hardner were used. but now they have kits that are pretty much tailer made for doing just rifle stocks and are packaged so that everything needed to bed a rifle stock is included. most of them are quite inexpensive, have pretty decent directions and many can do more than one rifle. the last Brownell's AcraGlas bedding kit i bought did two rifles for the price of $26, so it cost me about $13 to do each rifle in materials. that's pretty cheap IMO.

srtolly1 07-27-2013 01:25 PM

I used JB weld on my Mosin. Make sure you use plenty of a release agent, I used Turtle wax paste cuz I had it.

hiwall 07-27-2013 06:37 PM

I think all barrel bedding compounds are epoxy based. Some have fiberglass flocking to add to give strength some use aluminum powder. JB should work fine. Caution - do not try to use JB Qwik, you need more work time than 5 minutes.

unclebear 07-28-2013 07:06 AM

I think I'm just going to go with brownells for bedding stuff, from what i've seen it gives a nice glass finish when it dries I know it's not really going to be seen but I'm odd like that.