Propane, turkey fryer and a black iron tank fulla water....Barrel had its first rust after cleaning it up. So, now to start the blackening process.
After the first boil, plenty of black fluff to scrub off...there won't be much black underneath this first go.
Mostly a bit of translucent grey after beginning carding with 0000 steel wool.
After the second rusting and boil, a bit more black..deeper, less translucent. Even though and I can proceed with some confidence it'll blacken nicely over the next 4 or so rust and boil cycles.
Lets see...original frame finish was case colors....lost over the years so we rust blued it...some pitting and scratches remain. Repaired the forend wood in order to retain at least half of the original stock. Rubber buttplate was long gone but we installed an original Stevens steel plate in its place. And a new wood stock. This morning I did the 4th boil cycle on rust blackening the barrel. The finish, upon carding was a nice light black and a bit translucent...like an old, old reblue. I set the barrel up with the rifle and looking over the whole package, really fell in love with the look. Overall, like a well cared for, well used and older restoration. I like the look so much, I decided this would be the last trip thru the rust blackening process.
Fresh from the boiling water, a beautiful even bloom of black oxides.
After carding, I installed the old stock replacement Stevens style rear sight.
I put the Rocky Mountain Stevens Front sight back in. The silver blade is long gone, long ago replaced with a hand rounded piece of steel. I polished the edges of the blade lightly to expose a bright edge for aiming.
Lightly greased with RIG. Photos don't do the finish justice. I'll get it assembled and see how it looks in natural light for some final pics.
Final Assembly. Barrel is in, retainer bolt tightened with a well fitting screwdriver. I checked the lever, it snaps over center and stays closed just like new. A good fit overall. When these loosen up to the point that the fall open, its time for new pins....again, the factory fix was new pins and an over center spring and plunger added to the lever. A rare fix since these were very inexpensive rifles and few could afford to ship them back for repairs.