Rescuing Stevens Favorite - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Rescuing Stevens Favorite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 106 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Propane, turkey fryer and a black iron tank fulla water....Barrel had its first rust after cleaning it up. So, now to start the blackening process.

After the first boil, plenty of black fluff to scrub off...there won't be much black underneath this first go.

Mostly a bit of translucent grey after beginning carding with 0000 steel wool.

After the second rusting and boil, a bit more black..deeper, less translucent. Even though and I can proceed with some confidence it'll blacken nicely over the next 4 or so rust and boil cycles.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RRppnnk.jpg[/IMG

Lets see...original frame finish was case colors....lost over the years so we rust blued it...some pitting and scratches remain. Repaired the forend wood in order to retain at least half of the original stock. Rubber buttplate was long gone but we installed an original Stevens steel plate in its place. And a new wood stock. This morning I did the 4th boil cycle on rust blackening the barrel. The finish, upon carding was a nice light black and a bit translucent...like an old, old reblue. I set the barrel up with the rifle and looking over the whole package, really fell in love with the look. Overall, like a well cared for, well used and older restoration. I like the look so much, I decided this would be the last trip thru the rust blackening process.

Fresh from the boiling water, a beautiful even bloom of black oxides.

After carding, I installed the old stock replacement Stevens style rear sight.

I put the Rocky Mountain Stevens Front sight back in. The silver blade is long gone, long ago replaced with a hand rounded piece of steel. I polished the edges of the blade lightly to expose a bright edge for aiming.

Lightly greased with RIG. Photos don't do the finish justice. I'll get it assembled and see how it looks in natural light for some final pics.

Final Assembly. Barrel is in, retainer bolt tightened with a well fitting screwdriver. I checked the lever, it snaps over center and stays closed just like new. A good fit overall. When these loosen up to the point that the fall open, its time for new pins....again, the factory fix was new pins and an over center spring and plunger added to the lever. A rare fix since these were very inexpensive rifles and few could afford to ship them back for repairs.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #22

The right profile.

Nice steel buttplate to cover and protect the pretty walnut.

Right action panel and a view of the original forend that was salvaged.

A Squirrels eye view of the working end of the rifle...

Overview of the left profile.

Another look at that pretty new/old walnut buttstock.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #23

Markings and a view of the all original action. Even the original spring loaded extractor retains functionality. I didn't get any misfires on the original tests and extraction was positive, so, except for the new action pins, buttstock and buttplate and sights, this one is as close to original as I could keep it. That's fine with me.

A closer look at the left action panel and its action screws...how these got thru nearly 100 years with out being buggered is beyond me.

Barrel and sights.

From the underside.

Here is the slight failure of the stock we discussed above...a small chip raised up, but still tight, just at the toe of the lower tang. It lifted in the time between final wood finish and installation of the blued action. I left it alone, its plenty tight and I won't be prying it out to glue and refinish the entire buttstock.

One more shot of the repaired forend. Two cracks opened, cleaned, glued and two tear outs from sling swivel screws repaired with walnut plugs.

Test fire completed.

Here's the target work with CB Shorts first at 10 yards and dead center, then Federal Target Auto, a bit low and left and about as good as I can do with such thin sights.

People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 13

HOLY COW!!!! FREAKING AWSOME JOB!!!

Well documented and and outstanding final result.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #25

Thanks. Lotsa folks condem barrels if they are rough. Just goes to show, don't do that too quick on a lead bullet rifle, specially a 22. Often, even a sewer pipe will shoot wif squirrlie head accuracy.