Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Repairing Cracked Wood Stocks! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/repairing-cracked-wood-stocks-95816/)

m_collins07 08-21-2013 07:27 PM

Repairing Cracked Wood Stocks!

Hey Everyone!

I have an old black powder rifle that has a crack in the stock next to the side plate where the hammer is located. Its in a place that I'm worried that if I fire it that it will crack even more. I have consulted with other Master Gunsmiths that say to just replace the stock. But the stock is a custom stock that my late great uncle re-did and I would much rather find a way to keep the stock on the gun if I can. is there any Ideas?

I will try to get pictures of the issues and post them when I get the rifle back from my father..

Any Help would be great.

phideaux 08-21-2013 07:57 PM

Can you remove the stock?
Can you slightly spread the crack enough to insert a #22 gauge hypodermic needle?
If so...you can inject some wood glue, then clamp tightly, for a minimum 1 hr.

That will stop the splitting, but will probably still be visible.

Jim

m_collins07 08-21-2013 08:21 PM

I can remove the stock and I had thought about wood glue but was worried about it re-cracking?

phideaux 08-21-2013 08:31 PM

If you get a good amount of good(Titebond) glue into crack,

It may crack elsewhere, but not in glued crack, if you clamp it tightly overnight.

I been gluing wood (making furniture) for 40 years. Never had a glued joint seperate.

Jim

Chainfire 08-21-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phideaux (Post 1342279)
If you get a good amount of good(Titebond) glue into crack,

It may crack elsewhere, but not in glued crack, if you clamp it tightly overnight.

I been gluing wood (making furniture) for 40 years. Never had a glued joint seperate.

Jim

Photos of the cracks would be helpful. I have fixed them using many different techniques depending on the location and severity of the crack. In really bad cases I will drill through the crack and glue in a hardwood dowel and refinish the area. I just repaired an M-44 stock that was split in half from the tang to the butt plate with the dowel fix and it is a good as new.

Small cracks can be fixed by filling them with Super glue, but you have to be neat about it or you will make a mess of the finish in the area you are working on.

m_collins07 08-22-2013 02:32 AM

I thank everyone for the advise I'm hoping to get pics of the gun tomorrow if all goes as planed so we can better determine what path to take.

unclebear 08-23-2013 07:38 PM

I don't know if this would work with this case but on my great grandfathers old pump shotgun the fore end had a huge crack going down it and he used JB weld to fix it. Just an idea but I like the idea about injecting wood clue into it.

crash11049 08-24-2013 11:13 PM

gluing the crack will not be a problem, the most important thing is clamping the stock and closing the crack.
Before you use any glue make shore you know how it will have to be clamped to close it.
Any stock can be repaired its just a matter of how much time you want to spend on it.

m_collins07 08-25-2013 01:32 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Ill sit down and take my time with it.

John_Deer 08-25-2013 01:51 PM

I have had very good luck with Elmers Glue All. The downside for gun repairs is it expands when it dries like all polyurethane glues. Once it dries the glue bond is the strongest part of the project. If you choose Glue All let the glue harden before trying to clean it up.