Repair Very Minor Scratches In Clear Coat On Winchester 70

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Repair Very Minor Scratches In Clear Coat On Winchester 70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Repair Very Minor Scratches In Clear Coat On Winchester 70

I have this Model 70 made in 1974. It has a few extremely minor scratches I'd like to get out...they are only in the clear coat...they do not go below the clear coat...if these were removed the stock would be MINT. But how do I do it w.o. refinishing the entire stock? Will automotive polishing compound work or maybe Markron Gun Stock Scratch Eraser? The Markron scares me as the video shows the guy "sanding!" the finish before applying the product. I'm thinking very patient rubbing of a dampened cotton rag with polishing compound would do it. Anyone with any experience on this one? Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Heard that! Yepper, that's what I'm worried about not having much experience with these things. Just did the polishing compound to a 1976 Remington 700 & even though it is a very slow process the little bit of dullness in a very small area is now MINT...hooray! I'd just like to get a few ideas before I do anything with this 70.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 240

have you tried this old remedy?
Take a walnut, eat half. Rub other half on scratch. See if it makes it disappear.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Last edited by hiwall; 10-02-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Old English scratch repair for light colored woods is the best solution. I have literally repaired miles of scratches with Old English. I used to run a painting company. After we removed the tape from varnished wood we would wipe all the wooden surfaces down with old english scratch remover. I have had customers who thought we refinished their wood surfaces and furniture but I have never had anyone to say we scratched their wooden surfaces, even though we often did scratch wood chair rail. It's impossible to move all the furniture in a house, then move ladders all over the house without ever touching the chair rail. Not only that but the chair rail was often scratched by the customer. If we didn't clean it up my crew would have been blamed.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Nope. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. I have a plain walnut stock .22 Marlin that I dinged in a spot or two...amazing shape for a 1957 rifle!..that I've been told to place a wet towel over the damage & raise the grain w. an iron. I've heard of guys then using an animal horn to smooth it out. Maybe your way would work just as well. I'll keep it in mind. Your way might work on the Winchester too. Might try it.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'll check out Old English. Thanks. At least I'm getting options. At least one guy has said to leave it alone.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I was completely serious about using a nut. it is an old trick and it works the same as Old English

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBot View Post
Nope. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. I have a plain walnut stock .22 Marlin that I dinged in a spot or two...amazing shape for a 1957 rifle!..that I've been told to place a wet towel over the damage & raise the grain w. an iron. I've heard of guys then using an animal horn to smooth it out. Maybe your way would work just as well. I'll keep it in mind. Your way might work on the Winchester too. Might try it.
This is for scratches or minor dents in the wood. Not in the finish.

I don't need No stinking signature.