Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Remington Model Seven refurbishment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Looking good. It is Thanksgiving Day here. Lots of food and family and fun. I have so much to be thankful for. God has been very gracious to me and my family. Later...Dee

Old 11-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #32

Rifles are difficult things to photograph well. Anyhow here it is. Very pleased with the new improved balance and eye to scope alignment on the new stock - a few more weeks of tung/linseed mix application before it has the lustre I like but hope to take it out hunting at the weekend.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #33

Very nice. The fore end of the stock reminds me of the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight stock. I have always liked the look of those stocks. Do you have a pic of the stock before you did any work on it? Sounded like you had to do quite a bit on it to fit the Model Seven. What scope are you using on it?

Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #34

Nah, didn't take a photo. The fore-end of the stock was just a cylinder and cut off square. I needed to cut about 10cm off the length then shape the schnabel fore-end (used a spokeshave a lot, then a file). The main job was that the stock was deeper than my existing stock and the holes for the action screws where also slightly out of parallel vertically, though fore/aft alignment was perfect (much better than the Remington stock which is very poor in this regard). This meant the action screws didn't reach through the stock. In fact this was a blessing because I ended up adjusting the ramp angle on the barrel in the stock relative to the comb and got a near perfect eye to scope alignment vertically, it was already spot-on left/right. The inletting wasn't too bad, needed to remove a bit more wood pretty much everywhere - better that than it being sloppy to begin with, you can't add wood! Bedding went smoothly. The laminate is not as nice to work as walnut and there are some locations where you can't get really "thin" edges (like the front of the comb) as you can in Walnut.The laminated stock is birch I think and quite soft compared to walnut - so easy to dent, but overall it should be more stable.

Scope is a Leupold VX II 2-7 X 33. The flip up lens covers Leupold make are fantastic, made of aluminium with good weather seals, good magnets and virtually silent in operation. They also screw into the scope rather than being pushed on (much better than the butler creek ones but more expensive of course).

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #35

Have not written in a while. Do you have pictures of the completed project with the laminated stock? I am getting a new rifle soon. I decided on the Remington 700 CDL SF in a 280 cal. Hope to have it soon. Here's the deer I got this year. Used the 30-06 again. Not a great deer but OK since they were not moving much prior to opening day.

100_0563.jpg