Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Remington Model Seven refurbishment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I ordered a Safari Monte Carlo from Richards Microfit Gunstocks earlier this year in grey laminate (they seem to be the only people who will export to Europe). It was going to be a replacement for the factory remington stock which I disliked. While I was waiting for it to arrive I worked on the remington stock and it turned out much better than I had thought possible (it's the glass bedded one I posted on the forum).

Anyhow 7 months after ordering it (they said it would take 10 weeks), the Richards Microfit Stock finally arrived a few days ago! It's got the wrong recoil pad...all in all everything you read on the web about Richards seems to be true (late delivery, don't get what you order, lousy customer service). I'm working the stock at the moment. It's a MonteCarlo style and I'm gonna give it a schnabel fore-end. Not sure if I have enough wood around the rear tang to fit a pillar now it's arrived and I've had a look at the inletting.

Guess I'll end up with two stocks for one action!! One for hunting and one for show?

Last edited by quelebu; 11-21-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #22

Default Here we go again

Here we go again - basic shaping done, currently glass bedding.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #23

Nice looking stock. I'll be interested in watching the pillar bedding. Just got back from north central Oklahoma on a whitetail hunt. Shot what I thought was a doe the was very disappointed to see 4" spikes on it - couldn't see them for the brush. That ended my buck hunt. May go out again and try for a doe or two. Used my 30-06, also in a laminated stock, glass bedded. Might use the 7-08 for the does.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #24

Gun shaping up nicely, have glass bedded again rather than pillar bedded as the rear action screw would have had precious little wood around a pillar (the price you pay for the seven's compact action). By chance I've hit a perfect balance on this stock - it's amazing how light it feels and effortlessly it targets even though it's quite a bit heavier than the other stock.

How does whitetail hunting function over there?

Here in France each commune (village and surrounding area) has a hunting club which you must join to hunt in the commune. The hunting club has the right to hunt everywhere except 150m from dwellings and on 10% of the land which it must choose and make a reserve. Each year we're told how many boar and deer we can shoot (numbers based on previous years kills - the weight, sex, etc must be recorded and returned to the authorities) and issued with the appropriate number of tags. All hunting is done as a team (generally with dogs flushing the game past posted shooters) and all game taken is shared on the basis of the number of hunts attended by each member.

In the summer a few of us have permission to stalk for bucks only.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #25

It's much different here. There are basically 3 places to hunt. Your own land, leased land or public land. Any one can hunt with the purchase of a license. Several years ago my wife's family had a ranch I could hunt on but it's since sold. However it was bought by the state and turned into public hunting so I can still hunt it but so can anyone else. Now I am in with 3 others on a 1000 acre lease in Kay County Oklahoma. Most hunters here hunt from a stand near where deer travel or use spot and stalk. I have done it both ways. This year I spotted one about 1000 yds away and stalked to within 100 yds. I have posted a pic of the deer I shot through my spotting scope when I first saw him as well as a panorama of the place I was hunting from. I saw him Sunday evening and he was in the same spot Monday morning. In the panorama you can barely see a barn on the far left. The deer was near it. It was a great hunt even if the deer wasn't so great. Did much better last year. I'll post a pic of him later on.

Last edited by deehugo; 11-24-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #26

This is where I hunt...couldn't be more different - yet we use the same rifle!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #27

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great stuff guys!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #28

Thanks Canebrake.

I normally use my '06 to deer hunt in the wide open spaces. I have hunted in what is a little more close quarters and use the 7-08. I have killed 4 deer with the '08. Look closely at the deer pic and you'll notice the gun in the photo is in a laminated stock. That's the '06. The photos you posted of your hunting area are amazing! Beautiful! Looks like it could get to be a lot of work considering the terrain.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #29

Yep, a lot of 'vertical' and some rough terrain to boot - the model seven is proving ideal for that - light and compact.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #30

Glass bedding complete, now taking on oil.