Remington Model Seven refurbishment - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Remington Model Seven refurbishment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nice end result, can't beat a bit of walnut.
By the way what calibre is it?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #12

Strange how styles of stocks are different across the globe. In the US you seem to favour straight combs whereas in the UK the MonteCarlo stock rules supreme. Here in mainland Europe hogsback combs are very popular, and my Model 7 came with one as standard.

snb13091.jpg

Personally I like a grip cap but they're not very common here. I also like a thin leading edge to the thumb recess on the comb, I had to create mine...what's the preference over the water in the US?

snb13090.jpg

Hmmm perhaps this should become a new thread?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #13

Thanks. It is a 7mm-08. I used to shoot high power silhouette with a customized Remington 700 varmint 7mm-08 and really liked it. Normally I carry my old '06 deer hunting (it can shoot sub MOA) but I thought if I could tighten the groups in the 7 I'd give it a try this year at a doe or two. I'll still depend on the 30-06 for my bucks though. Prior to bedding the Model 7 the best group I had was 1.5" at 100 yds (that shot low to the left was from a different gun). I may go to the range tomorrow. I'll post the new groups if they are worthy.
10-1-98.jpg  

Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #14

Mine is 7mm-08 too. No range within a 100 miles of me, but down in the field I can safely shoot a target out to 50m (a little over 50 yards). Lying on the ground I shot a 30mm (1 1/4") group of 3 at 50m. That's good enough for a deer hunting rifle here, where shots over 100 yards are pretty rare (dense woodland). No idea what it "could" shoot from a benchrest on a range, but obviously better than that!

It's a lightweight carbine so would be surprised if it could shoot MOA groups, though I'm sure many people will say theirs can (seems everyone reckons their rifle is MOA!)

Ammo is very expensive here - at least half as much again as in the US - so haven't felt inclined/been able to afford to put loads of rounds through it to get a better result...in fact anything to do with shooting is very expensive here compared to North America.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #15

Ammo has gone up dramatically here in the last year. Reloading components have been scarce. Mostly to do with our new administration, very anti-gun. Fortunately, here in Oklahoma we are blessed with many good gun stores and shooting ranges. One of the finest facilities in the country is 20 minutes from my house: OKC Gun Club Home Page Went out there today and shot the newly bedded rifle. Not too pleased so far. but I am going to try some H-380 in it and see how it does.
11-4-09-2.jpg   11-4-09.jpg  

Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #16

Mmm, no real pattern with the spread but was the shot outside of the group generally the 4th or 5th shot? Thin barrels heat up quickly then start to "spray".

Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #17

Actually sometimes the flyer was the 1st shot. I'll try some other loads and adjust the trigger and see what happens.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #18

Went to the range today. Did some trigger work and I am happier with the gun. Still not MOA but close.
11-18-09-2-.jpg  

Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #19

Good shooting.

My trigger came from the factory set at about 8 1/2 pounds! Adjusted it down to about 3 1/2, any more and there was too much creep. Have just got a laminated stock blank for the 7, will probably pillar bed as I've never done that before and see how it does...just enjoying gunsmithing.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #20

Now that you have it all glass bedded you are going to put it in a new stock?? You are as bad as me. If you don't already have your new stock, I have bought two from StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Home Page and been very happy with them. Post some pics as you are going through the process. I have never pillar bedded one.