Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Remington Model Seven refurbishment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington Model Seven refurbishment

Appalled at the crappy inletting and general poor workmanship on the stock of my new Remington Model Seven, I've refurbished it. Much happier now, though why did I find a sheared off screw in the barrel where the front mounting screw of the iron sights should be?....this was a NEW rifle from Remington!
Original forestock
Fresh glass bedding
Reshaped and checkered stock
Finished rifle

Last edited by quelebu; 06-12-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #2

Default Glass bedding question

I saw the glass bedding you did on your Model Seven. Had a couple of questions. The stock on my Model Seven has very little wood in front of the rear action screw. Looks like yours has quite a bit of material in front of it. How did you do that, or was there plenty of wood to start with? Also wondered if you relieve the material both in front of and behind the recoil lug all the way to the bottom of the slot, or just behind all the way to the bottom?

thanks,
DH

Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #3

There's not a lot of wood in front of the rear action screw, perhaps the same as the screw hole diameter or a maybe little more. The bedding around the rear tang is a pretty small area to be honest and it was difficult to 'dam' the epoxy here but I managed.

I took out material all around the recoil lug (I took out the tiny metal block that Remington put in my stock behind the recoil lug - pathetic looking thing) then taped the front, sides and bottom of the recoil lug (not the back) before bedding to provide enough clearance to physically separate/reassemble action and stock - about 0.01".

I also bedded the trigger guard in a second operation.

Good luck with the bedding or rather the separating afterwards!!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

Here is a link to a photo on my blog where you can really see the bedding detail. Other better photos of the project and description of works on the blog too in May and June of this year. This photo is right after I parted the action and stock for the first time so it's before any cleaning up of material and the stock is still being shaped. Hope it helps show how far I took the glass and how much wood I had to play with. There's a lot of debate about how far forward of the recoil lug to take the bedding...you can see what what I finally decided upon.

The barrel on the seven is pretty thin and many people say it benefits from a little upward pressure at the end of the forestock, but mine shoots fine and it's more than accurate enough for a hunting rifle. The weather here can be pretty harsh and having gone to the effort of bedding to help minimise any changeable forces exerted on the action from the wooden stock due to changes in temp/humidity etc, it seems a bit stupid to me to then have the stock exerting pressure on the barrel - as surely the amount/direction of pressure it would exert would also change with temperature/humidity?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nice work.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #6

Default Did my Model Seven

Well I finally got around to glass bedding my Model Seven. Had the same problem with it as I did with my 700. I couldn't get the front action screw in without the bedding material oozing into the chamber. I tried to find the long inletting screws like Brownell's sells for the 700 but couldn't find a screw anywhere with the unusual thread of the rear action screw. I got it cleaned out ok but it's scary. Looks ok but not as clean as yours. I didn't dam up in front of the lug so it is a little uneven near the taper of the barrel. There is a void near the top on the front edge of the lug area in the bedding material. Since the action is supported ok and the force is toward the rear of the lug, do you see any need in filling this void?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #7

Personally I'd fill the little void with a SMALL amount of epoxy...be careful not to put in too much and give it a clean up after a few hours, you should be able to do it without having to reseat the action in the stock again. It can end up a little bit below the level of the surrounding bedding but definitely not higher, it will reinforce the other bedding which is probably a good thing given that on the Model Seven it's such a tiny area to begin with.

I'd also clean up the front edge of the epoxy forward of the lug (but I am a perfectionist!) - a really sharp chisel will cut through the epoxy - but take it easy, just a little at a time.

Are you going to bed the trigger guard also? Sometimes they fit nice and flat other times if the inletting is bad here also, you'll see it bend or twist fractionally as you finish tightning the action screws (and I'm talking ordinary tightening, don't crank up too tight or you'll cause damage). If you've done the action inletting already this is a relatively straight forward job and you might as well do it now whilst the gun is in pieces.

Good Luck

Any pictures?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #8

I figured you might say that. I had already filled it but I'd used all my AcraGlas. So I used JB Weld to fill the small void. I discovered another problem though. The barrel is now free floating but I didn't relieve any material at the fore end of the stock. Prior to bedding the barrel made contact with a small "bump" of wood at the front now it doesn't. I suppose the action sits slightly higher than it did originally. Do you think that's a problem? I'll try to post some photos when I'm all done. It's too ugly right now.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #9

Remington don't usually glass bed their actions and that little bump of wood is there to provide a little upwards pressure on the barrel. If you glass bed the action then usually you'd free float the barrel too - so no problem. However, as my earlier post, sometimes a rifle will benefit from a little upwards pressure at the fore-end of the stock as well (particularly thin barrels like the model seven has). Only way to know is to try some rounds through it. If you're not happy with the accuracy try pushing some shims of dense card between the barrel and the stock just at the fore-end and see if it improves things...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it does, you need to trim them down so they're invisible and glue and seal them in place.

In my case I decided the accuracy was fine for a hunting rifle so left the barrel free floated (I'd removed the 'bump' before bedding). Also as I said earlier, I think using a wooden stock to push the barrel up isn't that sensible as one of the several things bedding is trying to achieve is to isolate the action from forces imparted by the wooden stock moving with temp and humidity. I guess a laminated or composite stock is a different matter but I don't like composite and have yet to try a laminated (though it's the next project).

As long as the action is well bedded I think it's only a visual thing if the barrel is a little higher in the stock than before (as long as all the parts still fit together!). Before bedding I usually wrap the barrel with some tape to the desired thickness of the "float", that way when you put action and stock together, sandwiching the wet bedding, you can tell when it's seated fully.

Last edited by quelebu; 11-02-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #10

Well, here is the finished product. First was a photo of the old plastic stock. I think the new wood stock is much better looking. the bedding project isn't very pretty. I'll take it to the range in a week and see how she does. Thanks for all your input!

plastic.jpg   bedding-3-.jpg   bedding-2-.jpg   dsc_0003.jpg   wood.jpg  

Last edited by deehugo; 11-02-2009 at 11:48 PM.