Remington 870 standard going 870 Police
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Remington 870 standard going 870 Police

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 870 standard going 870 Police

hey all,
I've been working on modifying one of my Remington 870's to a 870P.
Simple mod by changing the barrels. I bought a 870P 18" barrel and mounted it on my shotgun. Also, I took out the magazine plug so that I would have more ammo capacity. I'm also going to get a 2-shot extension from Wilson Combat. Right now my project looks really good, but I don't want to post pics until it's complete.

But, in my haste to mod my hunting shotgun to a home defense shotgun, I prematurely bought a 18" Police Barrel and now I'm wanting a Tactical 18.5" barrel with the Tactical Rem Choke. No big deal....just letting y'all know that I'm going to sell the 18" Police Barrel as soon as I get
my 18.5" Tactical Barrel.
PM me if interested in buying the 870 Police barrel. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

This is how my shotgun looked before the project, a standard 870 Express.

The tactical barrel came in Thursday, I put it on the receiver Friday.
Still waiting for the 2 shot extension, should be in Tuesday.
Then I will take a pic of the finished project.

Remember: I have a Rem 870 Police barrel (18") for sale if anyone is interested in doing the same to one of their Remington 870's. The barrel is new, original Rem 870 Police (not aftermarket) never has been fired except for Remington's Test Fire.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Post all the pics as you build this!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

Ineffable,

I'll post some pics of the changes I made to my standard 870.
I only took one pic of the shotgun before I started to make the conversion
from 870 Standard to 870 Police. I have another standard 870 Express I can use for comparisons in the pics. I'm really happy how this project has turned out. It's been very simple & enjoyable to do. I recommend this to anyone who has two 870 Express shotguns and wants to use one for home defense.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #5

Default The Transformation

Here's pics of the transformation....

I went from this solid recoil pad...

to this one...

I drilled & tapped a sling mount into the stock & installed a swivel...

...a close up of the tactical barrel & choke
with sling mount & swivel on magazine cap...

Old 09-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #6

...and my Remington 870 Police without it's 2 shot extension...

I picked up the 2 shot extension last Thursday and installed it, but I haven't taken a picture of the shotgun yet. I brought my newly transformed 870 to a local shotgun clay shoot today. It got great feedback from the shotgun fanatics that were present. I'll post the last pic (w/ the 2 shot ext.) of my Rem 870P soon.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #7

I plan on doing the same thing to my Rem870...I already have a folding stock for it and limbsaver recoil pad...I need a barrel and mag ext...I want to get a barrel like you have with the mean looking comp on the end...or they call it a door breaching comp...If you look through Shotgun News and look really careful through all the little sale ads you might finds some goodies..I was looking about 3 yrs ago and found a guy who had a Rem 870 slug barrel NIB..for 100 bucks..the guy just found it and wanted to get rid of it..I think it was some gun dealer and he had several of them...So I jumped on it quick...Of course now the 870's are getting popular for building up into Tactical buns and parts are going back up...So if you get a chance get you a Shotgun New mag from your local book store and check it out...

Old 09-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #8

Glock17TJ,

I've seen that magazine you're talking about (Shotgun News), I'll have to pick one up next time I'm at the gun store...which is, all-the-time.
Yeah, the tactical choke can be used for breaching doors- that is correct.
But, I hope I never have to use it that way. If I ever have to use my newly transformed 870P against bad guys I hope I can take them out before they baracade themselves in a room in my house.

This same shotgun I keep loaded by my bed at night. Awhile back I got thinking if I have to use it to hunt a BG down in my house the long 28" barrel can be a problem. Getting through hallways, around cornors, the BG's could try and pull it out of my hands, etc, it just seems awkward to work with. That's why I decided to do this project with my 870 that doesn't get much use...I have 2 Rem 870's. I studied the 870 Police model and duplicated it with my extra shotgun. Although the 870 Police doesn't have the Tactical Choke I opted for that barrel because it'll give versatility to my shotgun. I can take out the Tactical Choke and install a Turkey or Mod. choke for close range hunting in my yard or where ever.

I recommend this project to anyone with an extra Remington 870.
J. D. @ AI&P Tactical, LLC can help with all your needs- check him out.
I did the whole project for under 300 bucks!!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #9

sweet shotgun.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 AM   #10

Default Final Stage

ok, here's the pics of how my Remington 870 will remain
in it's final stage of the transformation. Enjoy.

...and a close up of the barrel w/ the 2 shot extension.