remington 770 camo job - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

remington 770 camo job


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigRedUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 177
Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762
there's no right or wrong way to do a camo paint job IMO. i bought some decorative grass mess at a craft store and used it to do the camo job on my remington 700P.
That is nasty! Do you have a step by step with names and types of paint? I have the hogue stock so I'm not sure if it'll stick. Let me know please! Thanks

-Red
BigRedUSMC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
762
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 346
Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

dont really have a step by step. but it's all krylon camo paint that you can get at lowes or walmart. started with a base layer of the olive drab, painted the entire gun. then i laid the grass stuff over it and lightly sprayed with the desert tan, then did the same thing with brown. you can use anything though. if you've seen the movie "shooter" you may remember when they were at the creekbed and mark wahlberg had fern branches laying on his rifle. get creative, like i said, you cant really F up a custom camo job.

you should be fine painting the hogue stock, it's rubber, so it's even more porous than the HS precesion stock that was on my 700P. you probably dont even need to prep it, but you may want to run some light grit sandpaper over it. the krylon will eventually start to crack in some places and wear out a bit (especially the bolt) but it's cheap and easy to fix.

and just an FYI, i'd ditch that flimsy hogue stock and get yourself something a little more solid whenever funds permit you to. those things are notoriously flexy.
__________________
Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol
LR308 - 7.62x51
Savage 93R17 - .17 HMR
762 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigRedUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 177
Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762
dont really have a step by step. but it's all krylon camo paint that you can get at lowes or walmart. started with a base layer of the olive drab, painted the entire gun. then i laid the grass stuff over it and lightly sprayed with the desert tan, then did the same thing with brown. you can use anything though. if you've seen the movie "shooter" you may remember when they were at the creekbed and mark wahlberg had fern branches laying on his rifle. get creative, like i said, you cant really F up a custom camo job.

you should be fine painting the hogue stock, it's rubber, so it's even more porous than the HS precesion stock that was on my 700P. you probably dont even need to prep it, but you may want to run some light grit sandpaper over it. the krylon will eventually start to crack in some places and wear out a bit (especially the bolt) but it's cheap and easy to fix.

and just an FYI, i'd ditch that flimsy hogue stock and get yourself something a little more solid whenever funds permit you to. those things are notoriously flexy.
Anything you would highly recommend?
BigRedUSMC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
762
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 346
Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedUSMC View Post
Anything you would highly recommend?
as far as stocks go? really depends on your budget. there's a lot of badass stuff that's out there now that wasnt available 7 or 8 years ago.

with an unlimited budget, it would probably be a tie for an AICS or a mccree precesion. both have fixed and folding models available. they're pricey though, around a grand give or take.

aics
remington 770 camo job - DIY Projects

mcree
remington 770 camo job - DIY Projects

then there's mcmillan, they're used on the USMC m40a3-5, they're about half the price give or take of the stocks above.
remington 770 camo job - DIY Projects

HS precesion also has good stuff, the army m24 used to use one of their models with an adjustable buttstock
remington 770 camo job - DIY Projects
remington 770 camo job - DIY Projects


bell and carlson has come a long way in the last few years as well and they're known for making some solid stuff that doesnt break the bank ($200-$400)
remington 770 camo job - DIY Projects

i just ordered this one from choate, they're about the same price as bell and carlson. i wanted a mcmillan like stock, but i didnt have $500-$600 to spend on one. the choate was $220 and has a full length aluminum bedding block just like an hs precesion and bell & carlson. very comfortable
remington 770 camo job - DIY Projects

there's tons to choose from though
__________________
Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol
LR308 - 7.62x51
Savage 93R17 - .17 HMR
762 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigRedUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 177
Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762

as far as stocks go? really depends on your budget. there's a lot of badass stuff that's out there now that wasnt available 7 or 8 years ago.

with an unlimited budget, it would probably be a tie for an AICS or a mccree precesion. both have fixed and folding models available. they're pricey though, around a grand give or take.

aics

mcree

then there's mcmillan, they're used on the USMC m40a3-5, they're about half the price give or take of the stocks above.

HS precesion also has good stuff, the army m24 used to use one of their models with an adjustable buttstock

bell and carlson has come a long way in the last few years as well and they're known for making some solid stuff that doesnt break the bank ($200-$400)

i just ordered this one from choate, they're about the same price as bell and carlson. i wanted a mcmillan like stock, but i didnt have $500-$600 to spend on one. the choate was $220 and has a full length aluminum bedding block just like an hs precesion and bell & carlson. very comfortable

there's tons to choose from though
You really helped me out brother. Probably going with the one our snipers use
BigRedUSMC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
762
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 346
Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

glad to help man. what kind of 700 do you have? SPS?
__________________
Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol
LR308 - 7.62x51
Savage 93R17 - .17 HMR
762 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 978
Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default

Looks very nice. Came out pretty good. Hope you like it! As everyone is saying, preparing the material for application is KEY
__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigRedUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 177
Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762
glad to help man. what kind of 700 do you have? SPS?
Yep sure do. It's been extremely accurate so far
BigRedUSMC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
762
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 346
Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

a new stock will shave a few hundreths off the group size. i'd glass bed it as well and you'll shave a few more hundreths.
__________________
Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol
LR308 - 7.62x51
Savage 93R17 - .17 HMR
762 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigRedUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 177
Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762
a new stock will shave a few hundreths off the group size. i'd glass bed it as well and you'll shave a few more hundreths.
I'm thinking of getting it threaded too
BigRedUSMC is offline  
762 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Camo Dip Kit jaclinto General Rifle Discussion 29 07-22-2015 07:30 PM
Camo job ss33204 Engraving & Refinishing 18 06-19-2014 01:40 PM
camo job bigdaddy573 DIY Projects 122 01-06-2013 07:13 PM
Camo devildg03 Firearm Accessories & Gear 2 06-18-2012 02:05 PM
camo my 22 jon1992d Engraving & Refinishing 13 10-12-2011 05:44 AM



Newest Threads