Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Remington 700 sps box magazine? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/remington-700-sps-box-magazine-45519/)

law1220 07-20-2011 05:38 AM

Remington 700 sps box magazine?

I have a Remington 700 sps varmint in .223 and was wondering if there was a conversion kit to allow for a box magazine. Im comfortable with the floorplate design. Just curious about a future upgrade. Also I know the sps replaced the adl. Could someone please explain what the designations mean I.e. adl bdl etc. Thanks

Wambli 07-29-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by law1220 (Post 546038)
I have a Remington 700 sps varmint in .223 and was wondering if there was a conversion kit to allow for a box magazine. Im comfortable with the floorplate design. Just curious about a future upgrade. Also I know the sps replaced the adl. Could someone please explain what the designations mean I.e. adl bdl etc. Thanks

ADL has a blind mag (only metal on the bottom is the trigger guard). The BDL and SPS have the standard bottom metal. MidwayUSA carries the Wyatt's Outdoor Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly Remington 700 BDL Short Action .223 Remington with 10-Round Mag.

Wyatt's Outdoor Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly Remington 700 BDL Short Action .223 Remington 10-Round Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

BTW I HIGHLY recommend a better stock for the gun for the fist upgrade. My personal 700 in .223 is an SPS Varmint that I bedded to an HS Precission Stock and it delivers .5 MOA with just about any ammo I feed through it. Great gun!

law1220 07-30-2011 04:12 AM

Great thanks man I really appreciate it. I like the beaver tail stock but not how thin it is I was just going to sand it until I got it free floated and I was going to bed the action on it but I've been told that its hard but not impossible to glass bed a synthetic stock . I manage about 1. Moa and have been able to get a clover leaf print at a hundred but that was using a batch of reload btfmj 55 gr that I picked up at a gunshot and may have been pure luck. :D it is a fine rifle and im glad I purchased it

Wambli 07-30-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by law1220 (Post 552686)
Great thanks man I really appreciate it. I like the beaver tail stock but not how thin it is I was just going to sand it until I got it free floated and I was going to bed the action on it but I've been told that its hard but not impossible to glass bed a synthetic stock . I manage about 1. Moa and have been able to get a clover leaf print at a hundred but that was using a batch of reload btfmj 55 gr that I picked up at a gunshot and may have been pure luck. :D it is a fine rifle and im glad I purchased it

They are great guns! I'm buying anther SPS Varmint .308 to build my son a nice precission rifle this month. I did one for my friemd with the same action/barrel and it's a solid sub MOA with any good commercial ammo.

It's not impossible to bed a plastic stock but it's so agravating to do it's almost not worth it (to me) when a Bell and Carlson Carbelite stock can be had for about $150. With a .223 which has next to no recoil it is not nessesary to go to the more expensive aluminum bedding block stocks if you don't want to spend the extra money. Fiberglass/carbon fiber/kevlar are easy to bed and a real productive upgrade. If you are getting MOA out of the gun now you can probably half that bedded to a good stock. Here is mine:

Top Rifle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/DSC05462.jpg

Normal group with Remington UMC (cheap stuff) .45gr HPs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...00412-1831.jpg

law1220 08-02-2011 04:13 AM

That's a nice looking rifle you have. I would like to have bought a 308 Remington 700 but they only had the. 223 so I settled I could have had the 308 for the same price but id have to wait and id have to pay more per round. I plan on getting into reloading so I've saved every round shot through it. Eventually ill get the 308 but until then ill just fine tune this one.

Wambli 08-03-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by law1220 (Post 554445)
That's a nice looking rifle you have. I would like to have bought a 308 Remington 700 but they only had the. 223 so I settled I could have had the 308 for the same price but id have to wait and id have to pay more per round. I plan on getting into reloading so I've saved every round shot through it. Eventually ill get the 308 but until then ill just fine tune this one.

One thing you need to know about the 700 SPS .223. The twist of the rifling is very slow and it is meant for lighter varmint type bullets. It shoots like gangbusters with the 45 to 55 grain stuff but everything I've tried over 60 gr. does NOT shoot well. As long as you can live with this you'll have a great time with the gun. Oh and Black Hills has a .55 gr Match load that is perfect for this rifle.

cityofsteel 12-20-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli

ADL has a blind mag (only metal on the bottom is the trigger guard). The BDL and SPS have the standard bottom metal. MidwayUSA carries the Wyatt's Outdoor Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly Remington 700 BDL Short Action .223 Remington with 10-Round Mag.

Wyatt's Outdoor Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly Remington 700 BDL Short Action .223 Remington 10-Round Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

BTW I HIGHLY recommend a better stock for the gun for the fist upgrade. My personal 700 in .223 is an SPS Varmint that I bedded to an HS Precission Stock and it delivers .5 MOA with just about any ammo I feed through it. Great gun!

Are there any cheaper good quality box magazines i can install on this gun?

Creekside_Sports 12-24-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityofsteel

Are there any cheaper good quality box magazines i can install on this gun?

I wish it worked that way. There's good quality and then there's cheap. Another style to look at would be from Badger Ordinance, its the one that's sitting in my 700 sps as we speak.

Axxe55 12-24-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 551874)

H-S Precision also makes their own detachable magazine and floorplate to fit their stocks and i have read that with a little modification they will fit the remington stocks. if i decide to go with a synthetic stock on my custom built M700, i will go with the H-S Precision stock and triggerguard floorplate, not cheap but their products are high quality.

Wambli 12-25-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 658976)
H-S Precision also makes their own detachable magazine and floorplate to fit their stocks and i have read that with a little modification they will fit the remington stocks. if i decide to go with a synthetic stock on my custom built M700, i will go with the H-S Precision stock and triggerguard floorplate, not cheap but their products are high quality.

My favorite bottom metal is Surgeon Rifles. That's what is on my LR .308. I love that it takes AI mags but they don't make it in.223.