Remington 03A3 Sporter Project - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Remington 03A3 Sporter Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

mrm14, you bring up some good points. I'm not one to shoot a scoped rifle while laying on a gravel road - so I can't say I've experienced those problems. Grass, dirt, mud and rain puddles - yes. And most often with iron sights, so I can see what you are saying.

I've also had the pleasure(?) of being next to a buddy shooting his .300 Win Mag with the B.O.S.S. on it. I can't imagine an '06 with a brake being that brutal but I could be wrong. You can be the test case and let us know the next time you are out with Don and his latest project.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I ordered the Bushnell Trophy XLT scope last night. I'm thinking I'll put the Bushnell on the Eddystone and the Nikon 3-9x40 on the 'A3.

Here's a link to the scope: Bushnell Trophy 6-18X40 AO Riflescope Multi-X Reticle Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #23

the trigger guard looks like its one of the stamped ones but i cant tell for sure, if it is look around for one of the milled ones it will make a nicer looking rifle.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yes, it looks stamped to me too. Thanks, I'll look into it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I will pick the rifle up later today.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #26

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I will pick the rifle up later today.
It's later. Where is our update?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I picked it up late this morning. It's the first I've really had to spend any time with it. I'm bonding.

There's not a drop of lubrication to be found. The bolt action feels rough. I'll have to spend a bit of time with some emery cloth inside the receiver. Then once it's lubed, it should smooth out.

The trigger breaks nicely, it's a bit heavy, but smooth and not gritty or notchy at all. I can live with that for what this rifle will be used for. If I change my mind down the road, I can always install a Huber match trigger.

There's three holes on top of the barrel where it had a sight at some point. I'll be sending it to a gunsmith to have the receiver D&T'd and I'll have them filled and smoothed at that time.

I like the look of the muzzle brake and I think I'll keep it on there. It's going to be a field rifle, so the noise won't matter and I doubt I'll be shooting it prone, so an untimed brake shouldn't matter.

The stock is even more beautiful in person. The burl is gorgeous. However, I'll be taking some of the length off the butt to give me good eye relief and LOP.

I took a couple of pics of the brake. It has a brass ring with Klein Gunther Arms and a patent number on it. Does anyone have any clue about it? I've never seen a brake like this before.

I also took a shot of the bottom of the forearm. It's got a huge hole that's been drilled for a sling stud. I will likely fill it and just mount a regular screw in stud.
When I trim the length of the butt stock down, I'll be cutting off the rear hole, so filling the front hole makes sense right now.

However, if someone can give me some information on what might be the correct stud to use, I'll keep the existing hole on the forearm and drill a matching one on the stock.

Here's pics:

Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #28

Quote:
I picked it up late this morning. It's the first I've really had to spend any time with it. I'm bonding.

There's not a drop of lubrication to be found. The bolt action feels rough. I'll have to spend a bit of time with some emery cloth inside the receiver. Then once it's lubed, it should smooth out.

The trigger breaks nicely, it's a bit heavy, but smooth and not gritty or notchy at all. I can live with that for what this rifle will be used for. If I change my mind down the road, I can always install a Huber match trigger.

There's three holes on top of the barrel where it had a sight at some point. I'll be sending it to a gunsmith to have the receiver D&T'd and I'll have them filled and smoothed at that time.

I like the look of the muzzle brake and I think I'll keep it on there. It's going to be a field rifle, so the noise won't matter and I doubt I'll be shooting it prone, so an untimed brake shouldn't matter.

The stock is even more beautiful in person. The burl is gorgeous. However, I'll be taking some of the length off the butt to give me good eye relief and LOP.

I took a couple of pics of the brake. It has a brass ring with Klein Gunther Arms and a patent number on it. Does anyone have any clue about it? I've never seen a brake like this before.

I also took a shot of the bottom of the forearm. It's got a huge hole that's been drilled for a sling stud. I will likely fill it and just mount a regular screw in stud.
When I trim the length of the butt stock down, I'll be cutting off the rear hole, so filling the front hole makes sense right now.

However, if someone can give me some information on what might be the correct stud to use, I'll keep the existing hole on the forearm and drill a matching one on the stock.

Here's pics:

WooHoo!!!

Can you post the diameter and depth of the front hole? I have a box of old "take offs" and might have one that fits.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay. Thanks Rock.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Okay. Thanks Rock.
My pleas...

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI