Remington 03A3 Sporter Project - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Remington 03A3 Sporter Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 372 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Yes, the plan is to highlight that beautiful wood. I also have to fit a recoil pad.

It needs some gunsmithing. I want to have the holes on top of the barrel filled and it needs to be drilled & tapped for a scope.

Then the steel will be refinished and I'm not sure what I'll ultimately choose as a finish. I've gotten pretty good at the spray on finishes, but this rifle may need to be blued.

More to follow in time.
Not blued or sprayed...It needs to be parked

Old 11-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

BTW, I know it doesn't show up very well, but does anyone have any clue about the muzzle break?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 AM   #13

All I know is if it has holes all around it in a 360 degree fashion it is untimed and will throw up alot of junk when shooting in the prone position close to the ground. I suggest if it is a untimed brake that you change it out for a timed brake that only blows out to the sides of the barrel, horizintal, and not upwards or downwards. These brakes usually thread on and off and changing them out is really easy. Lathe cutting a timed brake to line the "holes" up in a near horizontal fashion requires a lathe but is not that expensive.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay. I guess it will have to wait until I can get some close up photos. However, if I remember correctly, it has holes all around.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Okay. I guess it will have to wait until I can get some close up photos. However, if I remember correctly, it has holes all around.
Usually the common type brake for a hunting rifle, untimed, holes all the way around. It's not bad at what they do but just not good for shooting close to the ground.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I can't wait to see you dig into this one, Don.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #17

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I say you poopcan the break all together. You don't need it on a 06.

That wood if done right is going to look like a very sexy lady in the Playboy centerfold.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #18

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Usually the common type brake for a hunting rifle, untimed, holes all the way around. It's not bad at what they do but just not good for shooting close to the ground.
If you are worried about giving away your shooting position - yes.
If you don't have any critters or humans shooting BACK at you, it's not really an issue AFAIK.

I shoot a lot of prone, but I removed the A2 flash suppressor from my Colt AR and replaced it with an A1 birdcage. The enclosed bottom of the A2 gives a bit of upward deflection on the bullet from the unequal venting of the muzzle blast IMO. My go-to match AR has no muzzle device at all for just that reason.

I'm going to vote for a hot caustic blue for the project myself.

If it was a military restoration, I would say re-park it. A sporter bedded in that beautiful wood just screams for a nice polished bluing IMO. But I know it will look good no matter what CA357 does with it. After seeing his previous work it's obvious he's a stickler for details.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
If you are worried about giving away your shooting position - yes.
If you don't have any critters or humans shooting BACK at you, it's not really an issue AFAIK.

I shoot a lot of prone, but I removed the A2 flash suppressor from my Colt AR and replaced it with an A1 birdcage. The enclosed bottom of the A2 gives a bit of upward deflection on the bullet from the unequal venting of the muzzle blast IMO. My go-to match AR has no muzzle device at all for just that reason.

I'm going to vote for a hot caustic blue for the project myself.

If it was a military restoration, I would say re-park it. A sporter bedded in that beautiful wood just screams for a nice polished bluing IMO. But I know it will look good no matter what CA357 does with it. After seeing his previous work it's obvious he's a stickler for details.
I don't exactly know just how much less the 30-06 muzzel blast with a brake would be compaired to the 300 Win. Mag. that I shoot. I think the 30-06 would be somewhat less but fairly close to the 300 Win. Mag.

My experience with an untimed brake from earlier this year was pretty bad when in prone. The first obvious thing was that the untimed brake on the 300 Win. Mag., when in prone, threw up alot of dirt, grass, and gravel. These bits and pieces of hard junk severely pelted me on my arms and face not to mention the dirt and dust being blasted back onto the objective glass of the scope. Also the gravel and dirt was showering other shooters on either side of the rifle. Now if you were on a concrete slab or on the bench it's wasn't a big deal. The other problem with the untimed brake, which I considered the bigger problem, was the muzzel jump from the gasses exiting downward when in prone. I had to reposition the rifle and rebuild my position for near every shot sent. Time consuming and not good for repeatable accuracy. If you were standing, kneeling, or in sitting positions, again, it was no big deal.

I changed out the untimed brake to a timed one and all the problems of throwing dirt and gravel around ended. Better yet, the excessive muzzel jump was gone and I was much better able to keep a built up position in prone, the rifle didn't have to be repositioned very often, and repeatable accuracy improved dramatically.

I've shot Don's Eddystone 30-06 and it packs a bit of a wallop when shooting back to back rounds at target. I think the 03A3 without a brake would be pretty much the same. Not as big of a problem as the 300 Win. Mag. without a brake, but in time, I believe at about 30 or so rounds downrange, accuracy may suffer from the repeated felt recoil. Of course, thats just my opinion.

Regardless, weather Don leaves the brake on his 03A3, changes it out to a timed type or removes it all togeather, blue or parkerize it, that rifle is sure going to be damn nice looking when he is done with it.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-19-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you, thank you very much. The 03A3 has left the building.