reloading is it worth getting into - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > reloading is it worth getting into

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started reading the abc's of reloading book it was a sample on nook I've been meaning to get the full version and finish it. I would like to load a 100g bthp for coyotes that's what made want to start the hobby I would shoot more if I loaded my own ammo. Thanks everyone for your input you guys/girls are always a help.

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Reloading is saving me quite a bit because I can only hunt with lead free ammo.
I'm sorry but we can't have a wounded animal die of lead poisoning. No for real I'm sorry that was sarcasm

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1694 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 1328

I did the numbers on this a while back when the ammo shortage appeared. This is what I learned:
When ammo is $carce, so are primer$.
Reloading is about marksmanship ballistics, you'd be able to make match grade rounds for the cost of bulk. If sub MOA isn't a 'need', then it's not a cost savings.
You need to have more time than money.
The break even point for me on a fully indexed 9mm production set up was two years.

I'd rather spend time at the range than with ultrasonic shell cleaners and/or the reloading bench. For many it's the other way around.

I don't know about a simple small scale set up for someone who mostly hunts. You'd use a lot less than a target shooter. I think it would make the payback even longer.

Take a look at used equipment. The stuff is built well and cheaper. In fact, if you can, take a look at someone who's actually reloading.

Before I'd get involved in reloading rifle rounds, I'd get involved with black powder.
Before I'd get involved in black powder, I'd get involved with PCP air guns.
Before I'd get involved with PCP air guns, I'd get involved with archery.
Which is sort of what I'm looking into now, but that's just me.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21204 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52918

as some have mentioned, it's also about how many rounds you shoot per year if it's cost effective. if you are only shooting small amounts of ammo per year, it might be more cost effective to spend the money on different brands and weights of factory ammo to find out what works well in your rifle.

only you can realistically justify whether it's cost effective to you and your needs. if i only reloaded for one gun and caliber, and only used ammo for sighting in and hunting, i would probably not reload. i reload for about 12-13 different cartridges in rifles and pistols, currently. when i was shooting much more, i generally would shoot more in a weekend session than most hunters would in several years, on a weekly basis. it was not uncommon for me to shoot anywhere from 60-80 rounds in a rifle testing loads and to shoot several different rifles in various calibers testing loads. so shooting 150-200 rounds a weekend were normal for me. if i didn't reload, there wouldbe no ay i could shoot that amount of ammo per weekend!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i got into loading when i bought a winchester model 70 in 458 winmag. in the mid 80's a box of 525 grain shells cost around 45$ for 20 rounds. i could load 20 of that same bullet for about 5$. i could also load ammo that wasnt offered in factory loadings lke the venerable 350 grain round nose and 300 grain hollowpoint. in a 458 winmag a 300grain hp will scream out at about 2650fps!!

today IF you can find 458 winmag they run about 125$ for 20 rounds... i load 20 for about 12$.

the important thing i discovered was that loading is down right enjoyable and it opened doors to firearms and loadings that i wouldnt have consider due to cost or ammo avalability. plus you get to shoot a LOT more.

loading gives you a deeper understanding of firearms. highly recomend it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #16

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't shoot a lot of rifle, but I shoot a ton of handgun. Buying lead bullets I can reload 40 for 6.20 a box. (not buying anything more than 1k at a time)

I've saved 2 grand this year over buying factory ammo after I payed for the initial investment.

This year I shot around 6k rounds, last year I was lucky to break 900.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1694 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraj View Post
I don't shoot a lot of rifle, but I shoot a ton of handgun. . . .
You were able to get primers?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #18

Liked 1797 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

I cast my own bullets. I can reload most pistol cartridges for less than $4.00 for a box of 50. You will save money if you are someone that shoots a lot. But there is something else to think about. I keep a good stock of primers and powder. I try not to let myself fall below 500 of any type of primer. I always have another can of powder when I open a new one. And when there is a really bad ammo shortage I am often the only one at the range. I always have ammo. That right there is reason enough for me to be a reloader.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have found I don't save any money. The reason for this is for the price I shoot a lot more though. Hehe. So the best advice I can give you if you decide to reload is get a manual an read it. Multiple times and understand what you will be doing ago you do it safe.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #20

Likes Given: 6

Just to throw my .02 into the posts.
My perspective is this, along with the customization of your personal ammo, the costs savings are real depending on your perspective and you can be building ammo and stockpiling it for future shortages.
The initial investment is no different than working on your own vehicle, you have to buy the special tools but you save in the end along with an education, so goes reloading. The auto repair tools, the reloading tools and the learned skills will be something I hand down to my boys now and when Im dead and gone, put a price on that.... ? Priceless!