Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   reloading is it worth getting into (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/reloading-worth-getting-into-101235/)

jekyllandhide 12-06-2013 05:07 PM

reloading is it worth getting into

I have been researching some reloading equipment and supplies and just don't know if it will save me any money I know you can custom build loads, but all I will do is deer, coyote, and just target shoot now bad then can't afford a lot play or aka target practice. I'm shooting 270 by the way

danf_fl 12-06-2013 05:23 PM

Provided you can find the correct components, manuals, equipment, it could possibly save you money.

But the break even point could be in as little as 100 rounds or 5000 rounds.

Do you shoot your 270 enough? If you are shooting 100 rounds a month, then go for reloading. If you shoot 25 rounds a year, it may not be worth it.

The other side of reloading is that you can tailor a round that works better in your rifle than the generic loads of commercial suppliers.
But that requires research, testing, additional equipment, and investment in different powders and other components.

therewolf 12-06-2013 05:29 PM

Only if you like high-end quality, custom-tailored rounds,

at the WWB price.

sensei9 12-06-2013 05:52 PM

Been reloading with my dad since I was 16yrs old. The equipment set up will pay for itself quickly. You will be able to tailor loads to your rifles harmonics for less than minute of angle accuracy. And you will find much more variety of loads, bullet weights ect. for your shooting enjoyment. Dad had a 270win load, 110gr bullet for varmint that would literally explode on impact:eek:. It was a blast.
Just make sure that you get god equipment. Especially a good scale, either an RCBS 10-10 scale or an electronic one. Powder weights ARE critical when loading!!!

jekyllandhide 12-06-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sensei9 (Post 1450891)
Been reloading with my dad since I was 16yrs old. The equipment set up will pay for itself quickly. You will be able to tailor loads to your rifles harmonics for less than minute of angle accuracy. And you will find much more variety of loads, bullet weights ect. for your shooting enjoyment. Dad had a 270win load, 110gr bullet for varmint that would literally explode on impact:eek:. It was a blast.
Just make sure that you get god equipment. Especially a good scale, either an RCBS 10-10 scale or an electronic one. Powder weights ARE critical when loading!!!

They have a lee beginner set at grander mountain for 129.00

Txhillbilly 12-06-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekyllandhide (Post 1450895)
They have a lee beginner set at grander mountain for 129.00

Skip on that set-up.
I have always used Lee Turret Presses,and Lee dies,but there are a lot of things that come in their "kits" that are pretty useless/cheap.
You can piece together a good reloading set-up for a little more than the price of these "kits".
(1)You need a good press,doesn't matter the style or brand.They all make decent presses,whether it's a Single stage,or Turret. For a progressive,Dillon is IMO,the only way to go.
(2)You need a good beam scale. I like the RCBS 505,but there are many other brands/models that will do. The Lee scale works,but is a PIA to use.
(3)Die's-Whatever brand you want to use. Nothing wrong with Lee's
(4)You'll need a good caliper to measure your cases,and OAL of your cartridges.
(5) For Rifle cartridges,you will need a case trimmer. The Lee case trimmer's are cheap,and work really good,but there are many others that cost more.
(6) Since your starting out,buy a copy of the ABC's of Reloading,and read it from cover to cover. Then buy some reloading data manuals.The powder mfg's have their own,and most bullet mfg's have their own.
The more manuals you have,the better.
There are also many places online that have reloading data,but use it at your own risk unless it comes from a trusted source.

You can buy most of what you need cheaper online,and even find great deals for used reloading equipment on Ebay and other sources.

Reloading doesn't really save much money over buying factory ammo,but you can build better performing ammo for each of your guns,than buying the same bullet loaded in premium ammo.

Once you get into reloading,you will never buy factory ammo again. I've been reloading over 30 years,and the only factory ammo I ever buy is when it was a really great deal,and mainly only for rimfire ammo.

Axxe55 12-06-2013 06:37 PM

reloading in the beginning isn't going to save you money. most people don't reload because of the factor of money, that is just a side benefit later on.

reloading allows you to load premium ammo that is tuned for your guns at significant savings most times. certain cartridges are more cost effective to shoot more if you reload, when you compare them to the cost of factory ammo.

Example. a box of premium Winchester BT ammo in 280 Rem. cost me about $44 for a box of 20 rounds. even if i purchase new brass to reload and using premium components, i can reload 20 rounds for about $32. next batch of20 using my once shot brass, now drops down to about $12 for those 20 rounds.so after the first loading, i can shoot about 80 rounds for the cost of one box of factory premium ammo.

in the beginning you will have the cost of the reloading equipment, dies, powder, primers, bullets and brass. IMO, in the beginning you are not saving any money, but making an investment into being able to make your own custom or premium ammo, that is tuned to your guns.

reloading allows a person to make ammo that is not offered as factory ammo. allows you to fine tune the ammo for maximum accuracy, velocity or energy. you have more control over the ammo you shoot in your guns in regards to quality control. if there is a problem, then you know exactly who is to blame!

my first suggestion before buying one peice of reloadingg equipment is to buy the book, "ABC's Of Reloading" and read it several times. get an understanding of how ammo is reloaded. get an understanding of what is needed. learn about the dangers of reloading. after reading it, then come back and ask more questions. Amazon.com carries the book new and used for usually $15 or less.

reloading is a good addition to shooting guns. it is safe as long as you follow the safe procedures and heed safety warnings. there is very good reason for them. they ae there to keep you and your guns in a safe condition.

Anna_Purna 12-06-2013 06:57 PM

Reloading will save you money, if you buy Primers, Bullets, and powder at todays prices. Only if because the prices on these components are always going to go up. So stock piling today will only save you money down the road.

gr8oldguy 12-06-2013 07:29 PM

I just got back from the range. I shot a box of 380, 9mm and 45 acp. My cost for 3 boxes of ammunition was probably $9 - $12. They were all reloads and they shot great. Yes you can save a lot of money by reloading. I used a single stage Lee press for years and just graduated myself to a Lee turret press a year ago. It's a great hobby and I wouldn't consider not reloading. I forgot to mention that I cast my own bullets. That makes a huge difference when it comes to saving money. Everything I use is Lee. Had nothing but good luck with them for many years. good luck

Jagermeister 12-06-2013 07:31 PM

Reloading is saving me quite a bit because I can only hunt with lead free ammo.