Reloading - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

Step one- go over to Amazon, buy a copy of The ABCs of Reloading, and read it before you buy anything.

You can do some bargain shopping for dies and presses etc on Amazon and on Ebay. Die RARELY wear out. Go for carbide dies. Single stage press is cheaper, simpler. A turret press allows you to go from one function to another quickly. A progressive cranks out one complete cartridge with each pull, BUT is easier to screw up when you first start reloading.

Yes, there ARE starter sets available.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm very fortunate that my dad was a avid reloader and has a room down stairs that's commited to it. He passed away 4 years ago and I've only reloaded once for my .308 and with some trial and error I had groups that would fit under a nickel, one ragged hole of 4 and I pulled the 5th. My buddy that's in pharmacy school tried and his loads were all over the paper and now I have to pull everything he loaded.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I taught myself to reload about 10 years ago, take time to do alot of studying, read everything you can get your hands on. BE METICULOUSE, one load at a time and don't get into a rush. RCBS I have found to be the most reliable and equipment may cost a little more but you get what you pay for. The Rock Chucker is a great standard press, watch at your local gunshows for dies but look them over carefully. A reliable scale and a set of micrometers is a MUST, measure EVERY ROUND until you get familiar with reloading. I still mike every 10 rounds just to make sure nothing has changed in my bullet depth. Reloading is a science and should be treated that way, it saves alot of money and is very interesting but be serious or don't do it. Best of luck!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #14

Default Reloading

It makes a big difference in what you are loading. Rifles a single stage loader is fine but loading pistols or for AR rifles you need at least a turrent press. I use LEE Classic press and have been very satisfied. You can also work up lighter pistol loads which are more fun to shoot for practice. Also look at hard lead bullets for practice reloading (much cheaper and very acurate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagagewright View Post
I am trying to start reloading ammo, but I'm not sure what to get. Anyone know of any good kits that have what I need

Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROD
It makes a big difference in what you are loading. Rifles a single stage loader is fine but loading pistols or for AR rifles you need at least a turrent press. I use LEE Classic press and have been very satisfied. You can also work up lighter pistol loads which are more fun to shoot for practice. Also look at hard lead bullets for practice reloading (much cheaper and very acurate).
Casting your own isn't a bad idea either. Learn yo reload first.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #16

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
If you are spending 3 or 4 days a week at the range you might want to do a little better than Lee. Now all you Lee people here don't get your panties in a wad. I'm not saying Lee is bad just not heavy duty like some other brands. If you are planning on loading 2 or 3 hundred rounds a year then Lee would be a great choice Certainly wouldn't be my choice for loading thousands of rounds. Also if you are going to be loading that much anything but a high quality progressive is going to get old fast. Every time someone announces they bought a cheap gun everybody is quick to point out that you get what you pay for. That applies to everything.
200-300rds a year?

I load on avg 400-500 rds every couple weeks with Lee Turret presses,and have done so for many,many years.The only parts that I've ever had to replace on either of my Turret presses is the spring that holds the shell holder,and I stripped out the Auto Index guide on one by short stroking the ram once loading pistol ammo.

Now I have equipment from almost every mfg,and some do make better stuff than others,but when it comes to a cast iron Single Stage or Turret press,the Lee's will produce just as much ammo as any other brand for a lot less up front,and last just as long.

Now I will say that Lee Progressive presses SUCK!,a Dillon,RCBS or Hornady is a no brainer there.As well as that thing Lee calls a scale,and their Powder thrower doesn't rate very high with anyone either.

In over 30yrs of reloading,I've never broken anything on a set of Lee Dies,but I've sent several back to Redding,and RCBS.
Nobodies perfect,and there will be things that break every once in a while.
RCBS does have one of the best Customer Service dept.'s in the business,and even if it was your fault,most of the time they will replace the part free of charge.

Red,Blue,Black,or Green,all of them make good reloading presses/equipment that will last the user for a lifetime of reloading if taken care of,and used properly.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #17

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you are running a lot of pistol ammo, get a progressive loader. Then all you have to do is feed cases in one side and bullets in the other side and keep pulling the handle. I have a Dillons 550, 2 RCBS rockchuckers and a Lee hand press. I use the Dillons the most, carry the hand press with me when I'm out and about, and use the Rock Chuckers to load rifle ammo.

I must say that I am impressed with the Lee hand press, I can load 100 rounds of .308's in the lazy boy while watching a boring movie on TV..... Because I run all my .30-06 through the same rifle, I only neck size the cases, they are already fireformed to the chamber. Same with .308.