Refitting kydex holster

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Refitting kydex holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Refitting kydex holster

The kydex in my holster is losing its retention, and my gun is starting to slop around. I want to reform it but am curious if there are any tricks. I own a heat gun and was planning on just molding it around my gun again. Anything I should be aware of before I try it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #2

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

I improved the retention in my supertuck enough to keep the gun from falling out when turned upside down gently with nothing but a hair dryer and some patients. Before it would pretty much just fall in and out of it,but it wasn't flopping around.

I just pointed the hair dryer on the outside for a while and through the inside for a while,hit the outside one more time stuck the gun in so it wouldn't collapse and then pressed down on where the trigger guard and the ejection port is. (Put something between the kydex and your hand,if its hot enough to mold it will burn your fingers)

Worked for me,heat gun should do even better.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong
I improved the retention in my supertuck enough to keep the gun from falling out when turned upside down gently with nothing but a hair dryer and some patients. Before it would pretty much just fall in and out of it,but it wasn't flopping around.

I just pointed the hair dryer on the outside for a while and through the inside for a while,hit the outside one more time stuck the gun in so it wouldn't collapse and then pressed down on where the trigger guard and the ejection port is. (Put something between the kydex and your hand,if its hot enough to mold it will burn your fingers)

Ahhh yes!! I've been looking for a way to fix mine because I've been running in to the same problem...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post

Thanks for your help/input. Just refit it tonight and it now works great. Do you have any idea how many times the kydex can be remolded before it weakens?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #5

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26

Thanks for your help/input. Just refit it tonight and it now works great. Do you have any idea how many times the kydex can be remolded before it weakens?
No clue partner,I've only had to do it the one time . I would venture to say you could do it a few times without any ill effects