Rebluing!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Rebluing!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Rebluing!

I have an old NEF shotgun that I plan on refinishing. The barrel has some light rust (most of which I've removed with hoppes, JB, and 4/0 steel wool) The barrel has 65-80% finish remaining, so I feel a rebluing job would be in order. I'd like to keep this a do-it-myself project, so it'll be done at home. I'd like to avoid hot bluing, unless it can be done fairly simply and cheaply. I'm really thinking about cold bluing, but I have some questions. Which is the "best" compound and procedure for application? Would I be better off completely rebluing or touching up the unfinished parts? Also, does the cold bluing really help protect the metal like hot bluing does, or is it simply cosmetic. I ask this because I still want to take my shotgun afield. Will the cold bluing hold up? Thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

Liked 119 Times on 76 Posts

Bluing of any type offers very little corrosion protection. Cold bluing is a coloration only and provides no rust protection. It does not hold up.

The only home-bluing method that works is rust bluing. It offers better protection than any other type of bluing. The process is labor-intensive, but simple.

Bill DeShivs

Old 07-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #3

Liked 63 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
The only home-bluing method that works is rust bluing.
I disagree

Hot Salts Bluing is not that complicated and it is the same process most modern gun makers use (including NEF). the protection against "corrosion" is the same as what the factory finish supplies (and has for decades).

I have been doing it for a few years now. Find yourself a Pottery supply house, they can provide you with the Sodium Nitrate or Potassium Nitrate, the Lye you can get from online suppliers like Dudadiesel or Essential Depot.

To tell you the truth I am a but mystified as to why people like Bill continue to try and scare people away from attempting these types of processes. As long as you follow simple safety guidelines and proper disposal of the waste, the process can be very safe.

I have self taught myself Hot Salts Bluing, Nitre Bluing, Parkerizing and am now looking at learning how to anodize aluminum.

I started a blog to share my experiences in refinishing guns, I, unlike some people, encourage others to take up the hobby and learn the art of refinishing.

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-new-start.html
Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Liked 119 Times on 76 Posts

The reason is that most people have no business dealing with hot salts and corrosive atmospheres! It's dangerous.
Cold bluing is a terrible thing.
Rust bluing can be done by any body, safely- unless they decide to drink the solution.
Most people are not exceptional, nor do they want to set up bluing tanks to reblue Grandpa's old shotgun.

Bill DeShivs

Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #5

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

I think I'm going to try the hot salts bluing method. Thanks a lot, TinCanBandit. I just have one question. How exactly do I know when to remove my barrel from the bluing tank? Your blog is awesome and you have great info. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
I think I'm going to try the hot salts bluing method. Thanks a lot, TinCanBandit. I just have one question. How exactly do I know when to remove my barrel from the bluing tank? Your blog is awesome and you have great info. Thanks.
when it looks dark enough....

Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #7

I decided to document my procedure for bluing guns.....this may answer at least some of the questions people have

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-i-blue-guns.html

Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 575 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Holy cow !

Nice work documenting that !!!

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain