Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Re-bluing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Sure. Bluing does not make a gun shiny, it makes it blue. Shiny is a result of polishing the metal. Do not polish it to a mirror state. You can even glass bead the gun and THEN blue. Again call and talk to a smith.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Sure. Bluing does not make a gun shiny, it makes it blue. Shiny is a result of polishing the metal. Do not polish it to a mirror state. You can even glass bead the gun and THEN blue. Again call and talk to a smith.
okay then.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCakie View Post
I was wondering if its worth striping and re finishing a gun yourself or just have a professional do it? I've never tried anything like this before and don't really know what's involved
The best and easiest bluing job that looks pretty good is Belgium Blue. You need to have two tanks. This was easy to find because I was just re-bluing a black powder revolver. You need a heat source for both, I used a camping stove. After removing the old blue, and polishing the metal, you use one tank to degrease the pistol parts. you then put the parts in the clean boiling water. I used distilled so as to not get mineral deposits on parts. After a few minutes in the boiling water, swab on the Belgium Blue, and stick it back in the water. The part will rust. You card off the rust and the prettiest deep blue will be there. Repeat the swabbing, boiling and carding of the rust until you get the bluing just right. after you remove the rust for the last time, rinse with clean distilled water and oil the parts. I have found that salt bluing is expensive and a gunsmith may not want to fire up his tanks for one gun. I have done both of these types of bluing in smith school. Up side to BB is minimum equipment, downside, the last I checked in Brownell's, it was expensive. The Belgium blue is used for double barrel shotgun barrels too, when you don't want the hot salts to eat the solder that holds them together causing them to come apart. If you go with Brownell's Belgium, it comes with good directions. If you do the bluing yourself you will have the satisfaction of having done it each time you handle the gun

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
c3shooter, why don't you want to polish the gun to a mirror finish? If you do you can get that nice mirror blue like the way Smith and Wesson did their guns in the old days. I prefer shiney to dull blue, but that's just me saying.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."