Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Re-bluing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts

Default Re-bluing?

I was wondering if its worth striping and re finishing a gun yourself or just have a professional do it? I've never tried anything like this before and don't really know what's involved

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Depends on the gun, and what your expectations are of the end result.

I HAVE blued some firearms, both hot blue, cold blue, and rust blue- just to see what they would look like.

Rebluing an entire gun, you will be disappointed with cold blue. Hot blue is a lot of work, and rather dangerous.

If you have a good gunsmith, that would be a good call.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20856 Times on 11856 Posts
Likes Given: 52395

i have to agree with C3.

i too have done some at the house with acceptable results. have done smaller parts or pistols with decent results.

IMO, there just isn't any comparison in the quality of having it done correctly with hot blueing. especially if doing much larger parts like a barreled action or a shotgun.

i would say it depends on what you expect and how large are the parts you want to blue as to whether doing it yourself or having it professionally done.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Take it to a pro bro.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #5

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Wish I saw this before I tried it on my Mosin...lol

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

See that squirt in my profile pic?
I cold blued that gun he's holding. I've discovered that cold bluing seems pretty fragile, very easily scratched.

The first time around was a learning process, and I did learn quite a LOT in valuable lessons.

For one thing, I'll never use the paste again. Liquid only. The paste is too hard to spread evenly in the tight nooks and crannies of the frame.

Degreasing a stripped gun leads to nearly immediate rust. Between stripping and refinishing, it's a constant battle to keep the rust away.

The metal kinda goes into shock from the harsh treatment of the chemicals. Keeping rust at bay is a process that'll take several weeks unless you give it a good soaking in vinegar between the stripping and refinishing. After stripping, douse in vinegar, rinse under COLD high pressure water, dry with compressed air, repeat. Do this quickly. Keep a piece of polishing cloth on hand (a paper towel with flitz on it will work) and a cleaning brush, to knock out any rust spots that pop up in the process. Don't use your gun cleaning oils, the purpose is to completely degrease because oil and grease are rust inhibitors, and bluing is only a form of controlled corrosion. It's basically blue rust.

Apply blue. The instructions say, I think, to let it sit a minute. NO. As soon as it starts to turn reasonably dark, rinse under high pressure cold water, dry with compressed air. If you let it sit too long, the chemical process will basically eat into itself, removing the blue, and leaving a nasty gray patina. This is acceptable to some people in old guns, but it's not exactly what most people are going for when they refinish in blue.

Not dark enough? Well there's the beauty of it. You can repeat until you get the color you want.

Metal prep is key. What you see in your bare metal, will be magnified times ten when you're finished. Follow the directions. Then POLISH EVERYTHING. Make it look like high polished chrome. If you can't look at a flat piece and count the pores in your face, get back to work. Then degrease and douse with vinegar again.

Then be prepared to start all over again at least once, if it's your first rodeo. Possibly twice.

Seriously. Take it to a pro. It's not impossible at home, but it's really not worth the hassle.

Last edited by trip286; 08-29-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A good shop can often reproduce original finishes. More guns are ruined by home bluing then any thing else. It takes care and knowledge to avoid rounded edges and buffed out numbers and legends on the firearm.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20856 Times on 11856 Posts
Likes Given: 52395

here is a link to a thread where i modified my AC Commander. it does detail how i blued it at home. shows also how it turned out. this pistol was blued about five times to get it to the point it's at now.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/american-classic-commander-modified-75656/

Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What I have done in the past is get in touch with the local hot blue guy and
work out a deal. I do the dis and re assembly, and the polishing. He tanks
what I bring him, at a very fair price.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Is there a way to brue a handgun without it being shiny, i want more of a matte look for my desert eagle