Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Questions about building a Mauser. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/questions-about-building-mauser-81012/)

sputnik1988 01-11-2013 08:51 PM

Questions about building a Mauser.

I want to put together a Mauser rifle that is as accurate as reasonably possible, the catch is that from the outside, I want it to look like a brand new Kar98k.

I've done a little research and can buy a new k98 stock from Boyds and probably bed the action myself. But how would I go about this?

Should I buy a k98 action online and build from there? Also waht caliber and barrel would someone recommend? This will mosty just be something to look at, occasionally take a deer and do so medium range Target shooting, any help is appreciated.

Also, what should I expect to spend and is there anything I should know before I start?

mountainman59 01-12-2013 02:59 AM

any cal from a 243 to 8mm Mauser

sputnik1988 01-12-2013 11:24 AM

I've been doing a bit more research and came up with a few more questions if anyone can help.

If I bought a barrel in 308 would the profile be the same as the original and can I still attach the rear sight and handguard?

If not, is there anywhere that sells new k98 barrels in 8mm?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me.

Thanks.

sputnik1988 01-12-2013 10:05 PM

Bump.... Anybody?

Minionsram 01-13-2013 03:11 AM

Why not just first buy a k98 and take it out an shoot it? You may be surprised that the accuracy is not that bad. For medium range target practice and putting meat on the table that is. If then the shot group is not what you want then build on from there.

sputnik1988 01-13-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minionsram (Post 1091255)
Why not just first buy a k98 and take it out an shoot it? You may be surprised that the accuracy is not that bad. For medium range target practice and putting meat on the table that is. If then the shot group is not what you want then build on from there.

I bought a Kar98 about 4 months ago, I love it but the bore is frosted pretty good, I really want a custom one rather than changing my barrel, the rifle is in very good shape aside from the bore and I hate to ruin the history of it.

The second reason I want to build one is the rifle feels so comfortable to me, more so than most rifles. I have a soft spot for Mausers in general, especially the German built 98.

gunsmoke11 01-13-2013 04:17 AM

Why not just buy a nice Mitchell Arms K98 8mm? For around $400 you know you'll be getting a nice rifle that'll work properly too.

sputnik1988 01-13-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 (Post 1091350)
Why not just buy a nice Mitchell Arms K98 8mm? For around $400 you know you'll be getting a nice rifle that'll work properly too.

Mitchells runs a fraudulent business. Their advertising is intentionally misleading at best, blatant lies is more like it. They force match Russian captures, modify the 'X' on the receiver in order to hide the fact that it is a russian capture and state that a Yugo M48 intermediate length action is a Kar98. they also reconfigure the rifles in finishes that the germans never used.

I wouldn't give Mitchell's one dime. Thanks for the suggestion though, if not for their shady business practices, this would be a good option.

gunsmoke11 01-13-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1091423)
Mitchells runs a fraudulent business. Their advertising is misleading at best, blatant lies is more like it. They force match Russian captures, modify the 'X' on the receiver in order to hide the fact that it is a russian capture and state that a Yugo M48 intermediate length action is a Kar98. they also reconfigure the rifles in finishes that the germans never used.

I wouldn't give Mitchell's one dime. Thanks for the suggestion though, if not for their shady business practices, this would be a good option.

Apparently you have more information regarding their practices than I have, which is none at this time and what you're saying may be a fact, but I don't know. I own one of their pre-ban Yugo Ak's which is great. When I needed accessories for it, they helped me patiently for over a year to locate someone who had what I wanted during the '89 ban and they didn't make a dime from my purchase. I'll have to say they were extremely professional and polite to me even though I was an annoying pain in the butt. I'll always respect them for that. I recall they sold some nice Swiss Lugers some years back as well that I should've bought.

I'd certainly rather have one of their 98 Mausers than an amateur put together one. Normally I'd only be interested in an original untouched bring back, which would cost much more than these imports, but for the prices Mitchell's asking for those rifles they look pretty darn nice. I have no doubt they work as well if not better than an average Frankenstein hope it works kind of rifle. You know all their guns must be carefully checked before they are sold.

The ATF is very unforgiving and if Mitchell Arms is being fraudulent then they should have their license pulled and be put out of business. Years ago I owned two German rifles. One was a Walther full size rifle, but it was a .22 trainer stamped NSKK. The other was a 98 Mauser 8mm also stamped NSKK. These were two beauties from the 1930's in great condition. They'll cost a hell of a lot to be bought today, but people have to buy what they can afford and nicest ones I've seen have been the Mitchell Arms.

sputnik1988 01-13-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 (Post 1091487)
Apparently you have more information regarding their practices than I have, which is none at this time and what you're saying may be a fact, but I don't know. I own one of their pre-ban Yugo Ak's which is great. When I needed accessories for it, they helped me patiently for over a year to locate someone who had what I wanted during the '89 ban and they didn't make a dime from my purchase. I'll have to say they were extremely professional and polite to me even though I was an annoying pain in the butt. I'll always respect them for that. I recall they sold some nice Swiss Lugers some years back as well that I should've bought.

I'd certainly rather have one of their 98 Mausers than an amateur put together one. Normally I'd only be interested in an original untouched bring back, which would cost much more than these imports, but for the prices Mitchell's asking for those rifles they look pretty darn nice. I have no doubt they work as well if not better than an average Frankenstein hope it works kind of rifle. You know all their guns must be carefully checked before they are sold.

The ATF is very unforgiving and if Mitchell Arms is being fraudulent then they should have their license pulled and be put out of business. Years ago I owned two German rifles. One was a Walther full size rifle, but it was a .22 trainer stamped NSKK. The other was a 98 Mauser 8mm also stamped NSKK. These were two beauties from the 1930's in great condition. They'll cost a hell of a lot to be bought today, but people have to buy what they can afford and nicest ones I've seen have been the Mitchell Arms.

Absolutely, they are very nice rifles, its the fact that the advertise them as arsenal refurbished numbers matching collector grade rifles, when in fact they arent. They are careful of their wording in order to avoid trouble. They imply a lot of things which are not the case.

If I actually 'build' one, ill have a gunsmith barrel the action and headspace it for me, most of the work by me will just be assembly.

I wouldn't dream of doing it all myself.