Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Prototype Upper - Who wants to see?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Prototype Upper - Who wants to see?

Okay, I have been toying with showing you guys a few pictures of a prototype .223/5.56 AR-15 Upper that we got in for some field testing. It's being shipped back tomorrow, with a glowing recommendation, so I decided to relent and give you all a sneak peak.

As some of you know, I do some part time apprentice work in a custom rifle making shop, but mostly I go there to talk guns, hang out and soak as much knowledge as I can from the Master 'Smith. Recently he was shipped a "new" idea prototype upper to test alongside some other products. What makes this so interesting you may be asking?

How about the fact that this little beauty houses a 10" free floated barrel and a 7 or 8 chamber built in sound supressor! The whole front fore end is one piece of aircraft grade aluminum, so the additional weight is almost negligible compared to a normal front end. This is one sweet piece of kit because it's very sturdy, you could swing it like a club if you had too and the sweetest part is, you can run this thing on full auto and not have to worry about blowing out your can. Also, since it's built in, you don't have to worry about point of aim / point of impact issues. SWEET.

The performance was very nice. Nothing is ever dead silent, as most of you know from experience, but this thing with sub sonic loads is about as close as you can get. We had to toy with four different loads of subsonic to get the gun to cycle the action on full auto, but as this is a prototype I expect this to be solved pretty easily.

With standard M855 ball ammo this upper was quieter than a similar lengthed model with both a Gemtech and AAC thread on can.

The expected target audience will be police and SWAT units for operations like meth lab takedowns, suburban warrants & house assaults ( loud noise in an enclosed place = not good ) things of that nature. Allegedly there are some of these in service in the big sand box and are receiving good reviews.

It's not on the market yet, and I am not allowed to give you the name of the manufacturer, but keep your eyes open in the glossy print & magazine world over the next couple of months, you might see something that looks familiar now.

Hope you all enjoyed a sneak peak behind the scenes....

I don't currently have a Class III - so this was as close as I can get to playing with something as bad ass as this in the civilian world, but I just might be filing for one before the end of the year, now that I have a goal in mind.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 05-15-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Additional info added

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

Okay. 42 viewings but no comments? You guys are usually far more vocal than that.

Looking for some feedback on whether this would be something you could see being useful or part of your "want list".

JD

Old 05-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks for the bump -- I missed the first post. Looks pretty neat, and it would be great to be able to purchase one.

A Class III probably isn't in my future without any real need. Suppressors are a great idea that cut noise pollution; I wish they weren't banned for all but Class III license holders.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #4

I don't have a class 3 either but maybe sometime in the future I will if everything goes right I would definitely be interested in something like that pretty sweet looking and sounding in your description

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #5

Supressors are NOT banned except for class 3 license holders.

A class 3 license is a NFA dealers license.

Anybody in a supressor legal state can pay the 1 time $ 200 transfer tax , become a SOT tax stamper and own one.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #6

Default Re:

I dont suppose you could describe the internals of the suppressor and the gas return.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
Supressors are NOT banned except for class 3 license holders.

A class 3 license is a NFA dealers license.

Anybody in a supressor legal state can pay the 1 time $ 200 transfer tax , become a SOT tax stamper and own one.
I should qualify that, in Washington State where I live, it is possible to OWN a suppressor with a tax stamp, however to legally be able to shoot it, you have to have a dealers/manufacturers license to be able to TEST the product out. True story, the great State of Washington will allow a law abiding citizen to own a suppressor, and it can sit on the mantel or in the glass case, but you can't actually use said suppressor in the state. Nice huh?

Last edited by Dillinger; 05-20-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Is it a dry can or a wet can? What is the weight on it? Looks like it would be pretty front heavy.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Is it a dry can or a wet can? What is the weight on it? Looks like it would be pretty front heavy.
Completely dry. The internals and the whole front end are aircraft grade aluminum so it's negligible in comparison to other front ends out there. I prefer to have a 1913 rail on my front ends to mount tac light(s), but other than that I was very impressed. I am kind of a big guy, so I didn't notice any front end problems, and of the criticism at the shoot that was not one that came up as far as I recall.

JD