Polishing internals question(s)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Polishing internals question(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3700

Default Polishing internals question(s)

Ok, so I have a few questions about polishing Glock and M&P internals.

I get bored at work (I sit behind a desk for 8 hours, on the overnight), so generally surf the web. Usually end up watching stupid people doing stupid stuff on youtube. I came across a few vids on polishing the internals, using Flitz and either a dremmel or q-tip.

Now, my questions...

1, does polishing the internals actually make that much of a difference?

2, should this be done only to a "range" weapon, or can it be done to a carry weapon?

3, does it have to be Flitz? or can you use any non-corrosive polish, like never dull??

Also, any reasons why this shouldn't be done, that isn't just a personal opinion, would be welcomed.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So, 20 views, and no one can give an answer?

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Catch me later today when I'm actually functioning and not semi drunk and ill answer your questions mon ami

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I did watch the 20c trigger job youtube video for glock. And i did polish. Trigger pull became a little bit better. That's all i can say.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Some have "over polished" with dangerous results.

Any polishing removes metal, and if too much is removed, it is hard to put back.

If you know what you are doing, and keep the correct angles, then you should be okay. Otherwise, I discourage it and suggest more dry and live fire.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

you can bet the prosecuting attourney has firearms experts taking zimmerman's gun apart. what do you think the DA would do if he found zimmerman had a diy polish job on his ccw gun?? "the defendent in his racist zealousness has honed his implement of anger to a fine edge making his own deadly enhancments in order to send that one round right through that poor child's heart!!"

if you want a better ccw/sd trigger have a proffessional do it and retain the receipt for any proffessional work done

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I generally find stoning parts is all that is necessary. As Jon said liability is always an issue with any alterations to a carry gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you can bet the prosecuting attourney has firearms experts taking zimmerman's gun apart. what do you think the DA would do if he found zimmerman had a diy polish job on his ccw gun?? "the defendent in his racist zealousness has honed his implement of anger to a fine edge making his own deadly enhancments in order to send that one round right through that poor child's heart!!"

if you want a better ccw/sd trigger have a proffessional do it and retain the receipt for any proffessional work done
Well, I'm getting trigger work on both my Glock and M&P (by a professional), basically, just swapping parts.

I was just curious really. I'm comfortable enough to swap out parts in the slide (striker and what not), and have only swapped out the slide lock and mag release. Not confortable taking the entire lower apart.

Besides, my carry thus far has been my .357 mag.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere