Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Polishing the feed ramp.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraCoater View Post
... a license to operate a dremel would be a nice restriction for civilization for once. haha
And take away some of my jobs? I say we give Dremels out for Christmas to everyone.

I have only 1 firearm that I've polished the feed ramp on. An old Springer that I used in competition. In looking back, I probably didn't need to polish it, but a few friends said "That's the way to go". Not knowing then what I know now, I did polish (luckily things worked out).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #12

Liked 2354 Times on 1531 Posts

I'm wondering if the gun is broke in yet, or an ammo change is needed.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #13

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman96
Looking advice on how to polish the feed ramp for my pistols. Need to know what equipment to use, duration amount of items to use as well as any advice from those who have already successfully done the process. Thanks
I polished my 1911 feed ramp, hell i did the whole barrel. It came out alot better than i thought.
1soak your barrel in viniger. All barrels/parts take diffrent amounts of time. When you do this your taking all finish off and turning the metal raw.
2clean with soap and water, make sure to clean the inside of the barrel completely.
3make sure to dry completely and quickly, the metalx are raw and will rust in minutes.
4take some mothers mag polish or chrome polish and wax on and off. Make sure to do the inside of the barrel as well.

This has made my pistol more reliable and i think it turned it to a tack driver. It goes exactly where i want. I also polished my internals and i believe that has made it function better as well.

forumrunner_20121025_204108.jpg

forumrunner_20121025_204123.jpg
These are before and after. You can make it a mirror shine with the more wax you put on but i chose to leave it where its at. The hardest part for me was getting in those threads

Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

And take away some of my jobs? I say we give Dremels out for Christmas to everyone.

I have only 1 firearm that I've polished the feed ramp on. An old Springer that I used in competition. In looking back, I probably didn't need to polish it, but a few friends said "That's the way to go". Not knowing then what I know now, I did polish (luckily things worked out).
Another thing dont use a dremel, if yiu dont want to take the time to do it by hand then you shouldnt do it at all. Use small cloth, the winchester swab packs are great

Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20057 Times on 11408 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I polished my 1911 feed ramp, hell i did the whole barrel. It came out alot better than i thought.
1soak your barrel in viniger. All barrels/parts take diffrent amounts of time. When you do this your taking all finish off and turning the metal raw.
2clean with soap and water, make sure to clean the inside of the barrel completely.
3make sure to dry completely and quickly, the metalx are raw and will rust in minutes.
4take some mothers mag polish or chrome polish and wax on and off. Make sure to do the inside of the barrel as well.

This has made my pistol more reliable and i think it turned it to a tack driver. It goes exactly where i want. I also polished my internals and i believe that has made it function better as well.

Attachment 66441

Attachment 66442
These are before and after. You can make it a mirror shine with the more wax you put on but i chose to leave it where its at. The hardest part for me was getting in those threads
i may even regret asking this, but how does removing the blueing or finish and cosmeticly polishing make the gun more reliable and a tack driver? Mother's Mag polish doesn't remove enough material to make any realistic changes. just saying.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i may even regret asking this, but how does removing the blueing or finish and cosmeticly polishing make the gun more reliable and a tack driver? Mother's Mag polish doesn't remove enough material to make any realistic changes. just saying.
Its not removing any thing. if you could get a bolt carrier for $50 itd be a good deal right, what if you could get a nickel boron bolt carrier for the same price which would you go with. The nickel right....why? Its smoother action and over all better quality because its slick coating operating without lube.

My sig is great but every once in awhile id have a few problems, after the coating i had none. I polished the,inside of the barrel taking away any friction and ultimately giving tge barrel its proper function.

The internals function together alot better than before with no lubing or anything. I love the look as well. The barrel was blu and the friction had cause the blu to fad. I also think the friction between the barrel and slide are smoother as well. If i could put a stock tac ops in your hand and mine youd be able to see the diffrence

Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #17

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I polished feed ramps and and such before but it was needed in each case and solved the feed problems. I've also done it for cosmetic reasons. The polish does have a small amount of abrasive in it and needless to say so does the sand paper.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtolly1
I polished feed ramps and and such before but it was needed in each case and solved the feed problems. I've also done it for cosmetic reasons. The polish does have a small amount of abrasive in it and needless to say so does the sand paper.
I love the look and the feel of mine now

Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #19

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The gritty tooth paste you don't like and a soft cloth fingered in the ramp will work.

Work it back and forth in the ramp.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Just use your finger and some 400 grit paper. Don't round off edges. Don't use a Dreml unless you have done it, a lot!