Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Polishing the feed ramp. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/polishing-feed-ramp-74619/)

sman96 10-19-2012 12:00 AM

Polishing the feed ramp.

Looking advice on how to polish the feed ramp for my pistols. Need to know what equipment to use, duration amount of items to use as well as any advice from those who have already successfully done the process. Thanks

danf_fl 10-19-2012 10:59 AM

Are you having feed ramp problems?
If not, then I highly recommend that you do not polish.

If you are having problems, then I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer first.

Some "enhancements" done by DIY end up in ruined firearms.

(Yes, I've fixed more than one firearm after someone tried to "enhance" the reliability.)

7point62 10-19-2012 11:32 AM

X2 on the last. If your feed ramps are getting exceptionally grimy it could be your ammo. But if by "polish" you mean using a drill with a small soft buffer bit, I think I'd use elbow grease and a soft cloth over any machine attachment. And goes without saying never metal to metal contact.

sman96 10-19-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7point62
X2 on the last. If your feed ramps are getting exceptionally grimy it could be your ammo. But if by "polish" you mean using a drill with a small soft buffer bit, I think I'd use elbow grease and a soft cloth over any machine attachment. And goes without saying never metal to metal contact.

Do you think using a silicone cloth would work? I'm having FTF issue on a Kimber 1911. I've replaced the issued magazine with a Wilson ETM, but I was thinking of anything else I can do to ensure proper function.

Mosin 10-19-2012 03:32 PM

I could be wrong, so obvious disclaimer, but I hand polish all my feed ramps with 2000 grit sandpaper, then use a polishing cloth with brasso. They end up looking like mirrors and I've never had an issue in 7 years....

drvsafe 10-19-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sman96 (Post 982436)
Do you think using a silicone cloth would work? I'm having FTF issue on a Kimber 1911. I've replaced the issued magazine with a Wilson ETM, but I was thinking of anything else I can do to ensure proper function.

why not test fire the weapon and see if the replacement solved the problem.
IMO, I agree with what others have said; you CAN ruin an otherwise perfectly running firearm if you don't know what you are doing. as you may not need to do it in the 1st place.

DuraCoater 10-19-2012 04:32 PM

I polish feed ramps using a Dremel with an emery wheel.

Bout as shiny and smooth as it gets.

Disclaimer: Take it to a professional if you are unsure how to do something. :)

Overkill0084 10-19-2012 05:02 PM

Feed ramps don't need a mirror finish to work properly. Smooth enough usually does the job. Unless it's truly appalling, it's probably not the problem. The Wilson Mag is very likely a good fix. If not, it's time to call Kimber, or find a gunsmith who has a solid rep with 1911s.

c3shooter 10-19-2012 09:03 PM

About the only time I let a Dremel in the same room with a gun- FELT polishing bob and WHITE jewelers rouge.

DuraCoater 10-19-2012 09:29 PM

My dremel has served me well - but yea - a license to operate a dremel would be a nice restriction for civilization for once. haha