Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Plugged ML barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/plugged-ml-barrel-30537/)

Craig Hopkins 08-17-2010 10:00 PM

Plugged ML barrel

I have a Thompson Center .36 Seneca that has a cleaning jag (with patch) stuck in the barrel about 8 inches from the muzzle. I ordered a brech plug wrench from Log Cabin with the intention of removing the plug and pushing the jag through to the breech. The rod attached to the jag came loose but I can re-insert it to push but not pull back on.
Now, I am seeing some suggestions that removing the breech plug is difficult, presents some re-alinement problesm, and/or sould not be done.
Does anybody have a solution for this problem?
Thanks!

stalkingbear 08-17-2010 10:27 PM

You could take the nipple off, work a small amount of FFF or even better FFFF powder in there, replace nipple, put a cap on it, and blow it out. If you don't want to do that there's a CO2 cartridge setup that blows it out for you.

danf_fl 08-17-2010 11:13 PM

I was going to recomnmend compressed air. What ever you chose, do not have the barrel aiming at your TV when that sucker comes out. (in otherwords, be careful)

c3shooter 08-18-2010 01:59 AM

Would not try shooting it out unless was at the very bottom of the bore.

This IS a caplock, right? There is a CO2 discharger (just mentioned)

OR- remove the nipple. replace with a grease fitting. Pump bore full of grease, pushing out the patch. To remove grease, hang barrel muzzle down, heat with blow dryer.

Craig Hopkins 08-18-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Hopkins (Post 333392)
I have a Thompson Center .36 Seneca that has a cleaning jag (with patch) stuck in the barrel about 8 inches from the muzzle. I ordered a brech plug wrench from Log Cabin with the intention of removing the plug and pushing the jag through to the breech. The rod attached to the jag came loose but I can re-insert it to push but not pull back on.
Now, I am seeing some suggestions that removing the breech plug is difficult, presents some re-alinement problesm, and/or sould not be done.
Does anybody have a solution for this problem?
Thanks!

Stalking Bear, c3shooter,danf_fl:
Thanks for the reply. I finally got the jag out by carefully re-inserting the ramrod with Gorilla Super Glue into the fitting. Waited a couple of hours, prayed diligently to Gods of Black Powder, cursed my stupidity, locked the ramrod in a vise, and pulled. It came out!

danf_fl 08-18-2010 07:41 PM

Keep in mind our suggestions IF something like that happens again.

Glad to hear things worked out.

TheOldMan 08-19-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 333409)
You could take the nipple off, work a small amount of FFF or even better FFFF powder in there, replace nipple, put a cap on it, and blow it out.

:confused: I always thought that was a no no.. Danger of blowing up the barrel..

stalkingbear 08-19-2010 06:46 PM

It's not a danger as long as the amount is limited to 5 gr of powder. That's about the max amount that you can work in through the nipple hole anyway.