PlastiDipping grips? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > PlastiDipping grips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
I used the dip.

Let's see how it looks after a couple

weeks. Mine were magnets for

dirt, also.
The spray is awesome! Held up nicely so far, with small exception where I didn't allow one coat to sit properly on back side, but I clipped slight fray and is good so far. We'll see how it hopds for the next few weeks. As far as lint mag, oh yeah, but that I care nothing about, at all.

Now if only the newest gun I put it on would stop having issues!!! Hahahaha oh well, project!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #12

So the stuff, when sprayed correct and covering the edges around to the bottom side, is awesome! After initial job I sprayed one last coat and got it wrapped around to the underside which held up great through carrying and good use three times shooting.

However, a problem that did occur, is that this stuff does not like solvent. I spray my guns down completely with brakekleen after use each time and it just eats right through this PlastDip. Hahaha my hands were pure black and I didn't even spray them directly, just drips across them caused it.

So, if you're thinking of doing this, don't hesitate, just be sure that you get a full coating top, bottom, edges and around to the underside, and do not get cleaning solution on it.

Its still there, but there are tiny divots all over where the drops ran down it and bled. Hahaha I'm going to do another couple coats to repair and next time be careful with the cleaning.

Hahahaa

Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Spray on or brush on truck bed liner works. I coated the grip of my Glock 21 with it and it is much easier to hold onto now. Most chain auto parts stores will have the duplicolor or similar version in a spray on can for around $10-$12 per can which is enough to do several guns. It sprays on really thick so I usually have a brush or sponge to move it around, add a little extra texture and get rid of the excess. After it dries for 24 hours, it resists most gun solvents fairly well.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon
Spray on or brush on truck bed liner works. I coated the grip of my Glock 21 with it and it is much easier to hold onto now. Most chain auto parts stores will have the duplicolor or similar version in a spray on can for around $10-$12 per can which is enough to do several guns. It sprays on really thick so I usually have a brush or sponge to move it around, add a little extra texture and get rid of the excess. After it dries for 24 hours, it resists most gun solvents fairly well.
Yeah, but its not rubbery at all. I've seen it used and it provides an extremely thick grit sandpaper-like feel. My goal here was for rubbeization. This PlastiDip is it. I redid my grip and covered all angoes to the bottom amd its holding much, much nicer. Love the feel.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

It depends on which bed liner you get. Some of them lean towards the gritty sandpaper texture where others have more of a rubber feel to them. The thickness of the coating and how you texture it when applying it will have a lot to do with the final feel as well. I refinished my Glock 23 grip with a few coats of bed liner and it has a definite rubber like quality to it. Also, you can add micronized rubber particles to some of the bed liner coatings which increases the texture and the rubber feel of the grip.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used the Rustoleum bed liner on my truck 2 years ago during thanksgiving. Held up wonderfully, so when I had a duracoating mishap on my aluminum AR7, I decided to bedline it with what I had left. Ended up spraying it with a camo pattern, but even still, after 6 months of fairly heavy use (I've used it in a couple of carbine matches), the bedliner has yet to show much wear. Only spot I've had to touch up was where the bolt cycles back.

I probably wouldn't suggest it for expensive guns, but for my application (protecting a cheap-ish gun) its worked almost flawlessly.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #17

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hate to dash cold water on anything, but please save your raves for spray-on plasti-dip for a few months. I tried the stuff, which was great initially. Then began carrying the revolver in my pocket every day. After a few weeks the coating began to peel off. Now, none of it is left. I intend to co-mold a set of urethane rubber grips using the originals to make the master mold. A company called Aluminite sells the stuff, A test mold of nothing important came out well. Will do the full grips (new from mold) in the near future.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #18

I welcome others' opinions and experiences. So far they've held up great. Again as stated previously, it only works when you coat the underside a bit in the last couple coats. That way it pins the top coat under the grip and against the frame.