Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Plastic Repair?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://kreem.com/fueltankliner.html Maybe something like this and a crappy patch would do?

The freeze plugs pop out to let out frozen coolant, should your engine's coolant freeze inside the block. Beats splitting the block. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Freeze-Plug/_/N-8znl4?itemIdentifier=522473_0_0_&newYmme=true The bane of a cheap rebuilt engine; these things have sold a LOT of JB Weld over the years.

Just can't believe you killed your Grandma's ATV, tisk tisk.

edit* If you choose to melt patches into place, maybe use a heat gun instead of a torch, for safetyerness.

editedit* http://www.amazon.com/Magic-6522K-QuikSteel-Plastic-Repair/dp/B0002JMCJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341607052&sr=8-1&keywords=Plastic+Gas+Tank+Repair Anybody tried this stuff?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It was my old ATV that she used when I wasn't there. The property she bought is like 400 acres and it had an old atv course that was for racing and jumping and all. Tons of paths just for leisure then a racecourse too. It was pretty awesome but got boring so I went and made my own paths every now and then. It was getting almost completely dark and there was this huge tree(bigger than you could wrap your arms around) and its a 700 hugeeee atv so I figured whatever I am going over it. There was like a broken off branch that I must have put right through the gas tank. It is hilarious I think because the place is the absolutely ONLYYYY place it could go. It is like a 4 inch by 4 inch hole between the tire and the front steering column. It was like something wanted me to have a hoold in my gas tank. Oh well. I will look into the links you sent too. The hole is approx(I haven't looked at it in awhile) 1 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches? It was a pretty solid stick that must have caught along that ground while I was riding it home.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I checked out the freeze plug and that is exactly what my uncle tired to use to seal it. He put the plug in it then tried to epoxy around it. Anyone know what a heat gun will cost and where to pick one up? I figure lowes will probably have one. Gotta pick up a few things while I am there anyways.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #14

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Lowes should have a heat gun. Sorry I didn't get back to you on the freeze plug but looks like it had already been tried. Good luck with the plastic welding.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe View Post
Lowes should have a heat gun. Sorry I didn't get back to you on the freeze plug but looks like it had already been tried. Good luck with the plastic welding.
Lol, not a problem. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully I will have all fingers and toes and no burns and a full head of hair after I am done with it all.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #16

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Have any pictures of what you are trying to work on? As mentioned I would use a heat gun rather than a torch, doesn't take much direct heat to soften plastic. You could also try epoxying some nylon fabric tape over the hole, then sand it down.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have absolutely no pictures. I will in like 2 weeks when I am there though. Would nylon fabric tape hold the gas in or would it leak through?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #18

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx
I have absolutely no pictures. I will in like 2 weeks when I am there though. Would nylon fabric tape hold the gas in or would it leak through?
They make a plastic tank repair kit that works good go to your local atv shop they should have it. Its a 2 part epoxy that when dry is better than the tank, i have used it with zero failures

Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you know what kind? or have a picture of the packaging? Thats the kind of thing I was asking about in the op.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #20

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx
Do you know what kind? or have a picture of the packaging? Thats the kind of thing I was asking about in the op.
I think it was called plasticover plastic atv repair kit, just go to your local atv dealer they can fix you up with it i used it 3 yrs ago an its still goin strong not one drop leaked out yet, my buddy just fixed a gunshot hole in his tank with it so its still avalible