Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > paper target stand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 198 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Thinking about a portable target stand for use at a friends place. The idea I had is a PVC frame with a couple big truck mud flaps hanging to staple paper targets to. I like the idea of mud flaps since I can pick these up for free. Needs to be movable so we can drag it out of the way when not in use. Anyone built something like this? Or can give me some advice.

PS primarily for 22 & 223 at 100 yards. Maybe a little pistol or larger rifle occasionally.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1386 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Just rip some 2 x 4 up into stakes, drive them in the ground. Staple some cardboard on the stakes to hold your targets. You are going to hit a target stand, it's just a matter of time. I just staple targets on small trees in areas where I want to clear out the brush. By the time I get around to clearing the brush I have killed most of the brush by shooting it.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1651 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller
Thinking about a portable target stand for use at a friends place. The idea I had is a PVC frame with a couple big truck mud flaps hanging to staple paper targets to. I like the idea of mud flaps since I can pick these up for free. Needs to be movable so we can drag it out of the way when not in use. Anyone built something like this? Or can give me some advice. PS primarily for 22 & 223 at 100 yards. Maybe a little pistol or larger rifle occasionally.
My CCP instructor had some built out of 1/2 PVC that worked very well. There not glued so he could break them down and throw them in the back of his Yukon. Backing was some cheap mats he picks up at the dollar store.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use 1"x 2" wood for my pistol & rifle target holders. I have 1/4" underlayment fastend to them to staple targets to. When it gets to shot up i just fasten a new piece on.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Just rip some 2 x 4 up into stakes, drive them in the ground. Staple some cardboard on the stakes to hold your targets. You are going to hit a target stand, it's just a matter of time. I just staple targets on small trees in areas where I want to clear out the brush. By the time I get around to clearing the brush I have killed most of the brush by shooting it.
John, his main requirement "Needs to be movable so we can drag it out of the way when not in use."

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

image-1056408143.jpgi also have a metal base but its outside right now. Targets slip into base. And easily portable.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 780 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 368

Political signs with the wire frame make great target stands and they are free!
I work for a municipality and there is an ordnance against political or advertisement on Town property.
Check with your local code enforcement officer he may have picked up a truckload he would be willing to give you.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you do a search on "target stand" on this site, you'll get a couple good ideas, including one that I posted last year.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/easy-build-portable-cheap-target-stand-73811/

Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Political signs with the wire frame make great target stands and they are free!
I work for a municipality and there is an ordnance against political or advertisement on Town property.
Check with your local code enforcement officer he may have picked up a truckload he would be willing to give you.
Those things work great.

OP I've made them form old 2x4 to staple cardboard to. What your talking about should work fine. I am n o ta fan of the PVC frame as much as they don't seem to take the abuse over time that a wood frame can. I like the mud flap idea but it will be kind of hard to staple to if you are letting it swing.
I like having feet on them rather than staking them in the ground mostly because we moved them a lot and if you have ever been in my part of the world the soil can be pretty rocky. So it just made more sense to make them with two feet about 2' and allow them to be moved much easier.

For the longest time we used to wood framed ones for times drills. WE had three at differing distances to be able to change targets in a hurry and work on accuracy.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #10

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

I build bases out of 2x4s. I make them so that 1x2s will slide in and out. I just staple cardboard to them.

dsc00497.jpg   dsc00496.jpg   dsc00495.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

DrumJunkie Likes This