Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Painting my rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Painting my rifle...

Well, I did something I've been talking about doing for a year or so two now. I painted my Marlin XL-7 (see picture number 1).

I got some rubbing alcohol and rubbed the rifle down with it. Then I put the foam ear plug in the end of the barrel and plugged it and taped that down. I then proceded to tape off everywhere on the rifle I didn't want paint to get. Over screws, in the action, the numbers on the scope, the safety, the trigger. I ended up putting cotton balls in the trigger, over the lenses of the scope, and in the action and taping over them to ensure that paint wouldn't get in there. If anything I was a bit over zealous with the taping, I plan on picking up a dabber and covering what I over-tapped later on. . (picture 2)

After that I put down a coat of flat khaki (picture 3). I used RustOleum camo spray paint in khaki, brown, and foliage green. I sprayed a few coats on there of each color and used some near by foliage to provide some rough pattern (didn't really take all that well though in the final look, but that's okay), either way though it broke up the coloring enough for me.

Next, I hung it up to dry for a few hours (picture 4).

Finally I took it down and pulled off all the tape, and the almost final result (picture 5). In the next week or so I plan on picking up a bipod from a local store and spray painting it down and tossing it on the rifle. Once I've done that I'll post a picture of it in the outside.

Stuff used:

1x Marlin XL7 in 30.06
400x count bag of cotton balls
1x roll of painters tape
4x cans of spray paint (khaki, brown, and green, I also picked up a can of white. I might repaint some white on here when the snow starts to stick)
1x Rubbing alcohol.
1x foam ear plug
1x Copy of Halo "Thursday War" to pass the time when waiting for the first coat to dry

All in all, I probably could of done better, but I don't think it was bad for a first attempt.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Don't knock your self out. That is pretty damn good and better than my second try.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

I like it, but could you hire a professional photographer to get some better shots? That one was pretty shadowy.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I like it, but could you hire a professional photographer to get some better shots? That one was pretty shadowy.

Sure, I just need 16 numbers plus 3 on the back or 4 on the front if you have an American Express, also your full name and billing address!

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

orangello Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If you shoot a deer don't lean the gun against a tree while you field dress the deer. I have a hard time finding my shiny finished wood stock guns. Drag the deer into a creek and come out like Elmer Fudd "Which way did my gun go?"

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher

Sure, I just need 16 numbers plus 3 on the back or 4 on the front if you have an American Express, also your full name and billing address!
You only need 6 numbers and a dollar.

Lottery Ticket!!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
You only need 6 numbers and a dollar.

Lottery Ticket!!
Excellent point.

I ended up buying /attaching/painting the bipod today. Later tonight I'll post that picture, and get y'all a picture with it in some of the terrain around here.

Oh and Crow, I didn't think of that. I might get a hunter orange something or other to tie to the rifle if I put it down.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #8

There we go with the bipod, and a couple of other angles.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #9

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Well done Uber, nice looking rifle

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report