painting firearms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > painting firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

Default painting firearms

i know you can paint ar's. what about other rifles? there is an older used .22 rifle at the LGS that i was thinking i might pick it up and paint it just to have as something different. ive heard people say krylon. are you refering to the spray paint? and also would it stick pretty well to a wood stock and blued barrel? what sort of prep work do i need to do? just hand sanding? or is it more intense?

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #2

With anything prep work is key. I always bead blast or sand blast at 40-50 PSI. 1) to give paint a surface to adhere to on plastic/polymer 2) Remove old finish from firearms. Then I blow off dust, spray with brake cleaner to degrease. Finally once dry I spray with Brownell's armor kote or gun kote. I've never used Krylon, but will be in the next few days as I setup another 870 turkey gun. Good luck with the project... Use youtube there are many, many videos on the subject.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's a re-do with spray paint;

My Tango plunkungfest Westeren Auto 120

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #4

Dura coat all the way

Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Whatever you do, go slow.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAKDUDE
Dura coat all the way
I haven't used duracoat YET, but have a buddy did a couple of his guns with it and they look awesome. He says he didnt use the spray bottle that comes with it but a small hobby air brush kit he already had. Yet to see how it holds up to scratching, etc, but I'm going to use some on my 870 soon. I think OD green will look good.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't ever use Krylon paint as a primary gun finish.. It will NOT hold up and will be a P.I.T.A. to clean up when it starts to flake off on ya. I use Duracoat ...

Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

It depends on what you do with it. I took a brand new remmy 700 sps varmint and krylon'd it end to end. Base coat was coyote tan ultra flat, then hit it random with some chocolate ultra flat, the used dog fennel, (local weeds to north florida) and used UF od green to make the camo pattern. True it chips and rubs off but the more it did, the better the camo pattern. FWIW just my take on it.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewulff View Post
. True it chips and rubs off but the more it did, the better the camo pattern. FWIW just my take on it.
There are several manufacturers out there making products designed specifically as firearms coatings.. Why even waste your money using an inferior product..? I used to use coat hangers as exhaust hangers years ago too before I realized that a smart quarter spent was better than a dime wasted

Point being, Duracoat and products like it are not cost prohibitive to the point of preventing you from doing the job right the first time.. A Duracoat camo kit is almost as cheap as the three or four cans of krylon and it will last "FOREVER"... !

Last edited by TheOldMan; 04-12-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i actually have had pretty good results with the Krylon Camoflage paints, but only use them on the synthetic stocks. with many years with painting in the automotive business, the main factor is preparation not the material used. someone mentioned using a brake cleaner as a cleaner to use prior to painting, but rubbing alcohol works better, especially on plastics or synthetics, which you might not want to use brake cleaner on in the first place. also on synthetics and plastics, use a adhesion promoter before putting the paint on. these are my steps for painting, regardless of paint used.

1. clean with warm soapy water and a course brush.

2. completely dry.

3. plastics or synthetics, use fine scuff pads to prep. metal, use mild abrasive in a blast cabinet if available, if not sandpaper or course steel wool.

4. if plastic or synthetic, use rubbing alcohol to clean. if metal, use brake cleaner then alcohol to clean.

5. if plastic or synthetic, use an adhesion promoter, i like the Bulldog brand usually carried at most automotive stores. then topcoat with whatever paint you choose. remember, more lighter coats are preferable to one heavy coat of paint.

6. if metal. i like to preheat the metal. about 150-175 degrees. use an oven or a small torch, then when the metal has been warmed up apply very light coats until desired coverage is achieved.

7. final note, let it cure. i use hangers made into hooks and holders for the items being painted if possible. move them if need be to where they can sit of hang for at least 24 hours before messing with them, more if you can.

these are just my methods i have used for many years and have had good results with. i have several stocks with Krylon used on the stocks that are approaching a few years on them and are holding up very well. not peeling or flaking, but are getting some wear marks from handling, which if doing a camo paint finish, it actually gives it character.