Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   paint job (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/paint-job-84445/)

WarrenPTstud 02-17-2013 01:19 PM

paint job

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 85949

Attachment 85950

Attachment 85951

Attachment 85952

While I do realize these are airsoft guns I would just like to get opinions on the paint not the "guns" lol

lfcshooter 02-17-2013 02:22 PM

Great job, what paint did you use?
Have you used anything to finish it? I guess if you do airsoft it will get knocked about

WarrenPTstud 02-17-2013 02:34 PM

I used camo krylon I found at my Walmart. Didn't use any finish or anything since they're going to be knocked and thrown about roughly

trip286 02-17-2013 02:46 PM

That's a good paint job.

Intheshop 02-23-2013 10:29 AM

Second pic,side of receiver.....see how the green is lay'd over the background?If you do a stencil....it would cvr this green,then apply a thin'ish black line(airbrush works perfect here)around the perimeter(of the green)....it makes the green appear to "float" over the background.Really gives a 3-D effect.

But,it also builds in high contrast which is very confusing to the eye.....this being a good thing in camo world.Do some research for "shadowing" in commercial lettering.Look at the cpl different ways to do it,then experiment a bit.IOW's,the shadow can be connected to the leaf,branch,blob,etc......or it can have a space.Like if a branch was casting a shadow from a few inches.And this effect can change within one stock.....meaning,keep the shadows tighter in smaller areas(forearm,wrist)and then,open'm up a bit on buttstock.

Airbrushes are nice,but I think most guys would be better served(in stock world) with whats known as a "touch-up or Jamb gun".Thye're just about spot-on perfect for stocks.The fan width goes from a max of @3-4 inches,down pretty tight....1/2" or so.Not as nice as a true airbrush for really "fine" lines....but plenty good for camo jobs.They're also used for "clears" on wood stocks.With care,they can be driven by small,pancake compressor.These are relatively small items(stocks)....so no need to fire up a giant compressor.

BULLET9992 02-24-2013 11:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you wish to pain a real firearm in the future try duracoat. I used their ultra flat tactical shake n spray system. Excellent results

Attachment 87337

Attachment 87338

Baxter 02-25-2013 01:21 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I used Duracoat on the slide of a recently purchased used Ruger. For the frame I simply used krylon fusion camo paints. While I can't speak on durability yet, I'm happy with the way it came out. Surface prepping is very important for durability. While I'm sure the spray painted frame will begin to wear fairly easily, I have confidence the duracoat will hold up well.