Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   No idea please help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/no-idea-please-help-39691/)

CUE 03-12-2011 01:59 PM

No idea please help

Hello everybody, I would just like to say how thick I sound and I am sorry as I have had this musket? in my loft for a long time now and I have no idea about it.........if onyone can tell me anything about it or have any idea of value that it would be? ....once again I am sorry for bugging you and thank you for any help you can give...lisa..

012.jpg picture by onyx-onyx - Photobucket

Cattledog 03-12-2011 08:11 PM

Looks Like it could be indian or midde eastern from the styling of the stock and markings. I would be shocked if it were European. Quite the unique piece. A curios and relics collector is what you're looking for to get an appraisal. Be careful too some might offer you 150.00 for it just to sell it for 500.00 or more. Incidentally,
I'll take it off your hands for 20.00 :D

Alchemist 03-12-2011 09:51 PM

I'm NOT an expert at all but to my eye that looks like a purely decorative piece or maybe an old stage prop. My hunch is that it might have a little value as an antique house-decor item but no value to a firearms collector. I could be wrong.

c3shooter 03-13-2011 01:28 AM

The stock shape is similar to a Jezail musket (yes, my dear Holmes- the very gun that gave Doctor Watson the wound that ended his military career) These were Arabic in origin- Afghani comes to mind. Many were made by rather crude cottage gunmakers. Whether yours is an original Jezail, or a bit of a tourist souvenir from years past, I could not hazard a guess. However, if you are in London, there are some museums there that COULD offer you an educated opinion. It is either a very crude matchlock type OR is missing parts- the true Jezail was, IIRC, a flintlock.

CUE 03-14-2011 06:06 PM

thank you so much for your help, I going to keep it and pass it on through the family..once again thank you so much.

Hawg 03-14-2011 08:05 PM

The stock was shaped that way so it could be tucked under the arm and fired from a horse or camel.:D

Colossal Urprising 03-14-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 464778)
The stock was shaped that way so it could be tucked under the arm and fired from a horse or camel.:D

You made that up

Sniper03 03-14-2011 08:49 PM

The only thing that I have seen at some of the large gun shows that the stock looked the same was from India and Pakistan. But they were much more highly decorated than this unit. And in excellent shape. I would say the region was similar but the quality of the ones I saw was very good.