You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

A New Model Old Model Blackhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 171 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brown is coming along well. Been a long long time since I browned a gun barrel. Carding this (no boiling) with scalding water and a rough terry rag. I have one spot on the top strap that won't rust. Scrubbed it back with 0000 steel wool and trying again to get the rust started there. But over the rest of the frame and barrel a fine coat of rust is developing and its going to be a deep brown when done. I've rusted its twice this evening. For the overnighter, not in the 90% humidity damp box.....I carded and recoated with Laurel Mountain Forge brown and hung it out in the cooler and less humid garage. I'll see how it looks in the morning.

A New Model Old Model Blackhawk - DIY Projects

Old 05-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #42

Coming right along. An overnight sit in the garage and hitting the topstrap with both of Laurel Mountain Forge and Pilkingtons has the bare spot rusting fine. A few more cycles today and tomorrow and I think it'll be time to warm up the metal and dunk it in either Motor oil or wax.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #43

After the fourth rust and carding with terry and scalding water a hot water rinse and rubdown with baking soda. (Laurel Mountain Forge is more aggressive than Pilkington's. Squeeze some of both on the wooden table top and the acids in the Laurel sizzle on the wood......stings yer fingers while using it too....Pilkington's does neither.)

Once dried, off to the oven to warm up for the final oiling....any old motor oil will do. Clean motor oil though, not dirty.

In the oil and then dripping off the excess while the metal cools from about 150 F back to room temperature.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #44

Probably time to call it done. If I brown another, I'll probably try 5 or 6 cycles and carding with steel wool (a deviation from the instructions) but this finish suits me. Deep plumb brown. Fairly even. It should age nicely. Not as smooth or fine grained as a rust blue but it goes with the spotted brown Amboyna Burl grip panels. Based on my experience with muzzleloaders, probably not as durable as rust blue but its sure to age nicely and retouch is a snap.....let it rust. As a two tone, I like it lots better than black and stainless. And, I sure won't have to worry about rust!

Time to name it too. I decided to call this 9mm/38 Special/357 Magnum "Rusty".

But for now.....for those that can't accept that rust browning and bluing, done correctly is not injurious to the bore, I submit a single cleaning patch.....all that was needed to prep the bore after pouring oil on the heated steel.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #45

A tour of the completed Convertible. In this case, the conversion involving no lathe shortening of the cylinder body and front bushing of an OM Blackhawk 9mm Cylinder to the 50th frame. Easy Peasy.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #46

Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #47

Heaven help me if I lay it down in the leaves and pine needles while hunting this fall, I'll never find it!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5449 Times on 3358 Posts

Looks good, sharps.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #49

About 13 days after the baking soda scrub to neutralize much of the rusting agent and its first warm soak in motor oil.....followed by 3 scrubbings with a mix of Hoppes 9 and Rig (50/50 mix) I am ready to finish the plumb brown finish.

Its a coarser finish. And the Laurel Mountain is trapped, at least a little bit always is, down in the finish. Light after rust often continues. It'll stop soon enough and is nothing to worry about as long as you keep after it till its done. I think its about done now. No additional after rust since the last greasing about 3 days back.

A dry terry is enough to wipe most of the excess oil and grease off the surface. A 50/50 mix of good old bees wax and vasoline is the final sealer. Here I have liberally coated the browned metal and will be warming the frame and barrel gently to melt this top coat. An additional rub down will be with a patch or two liberally impregnated with this, my favorite muzzleloader lube (good to 1800 fps or so, patch or bullet), bullet lube for pistol and slow rifle (1300 fps and the right temper/diameter and NO LEADING) and browned metal sealer.....After it cools, it'll be carefully buffed with a clean terry and then reassembled. And, that should be it, except for the dings and scratches of use, for a long while.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #50

Gently warmed all over to ouch temperature and the multi purpose semi-natural lube sealer melts. More is applied with a patch and scrubbed in all over.

Leave it on thick and glossy and let it cool.

Once cooled, rub it out and reassemble.

From here out the exterior finish on this one gets no more complex attention than given the finish of any muzzleloader. A light wipe down with a water based solvent as needed and a touch of any good muzzleloading bore lube/preservative. In my case, Bore Butter since its not necessary to warm the metal for regular maintenance. Any more rust that crops up goes unnoticed since its brown, naturally, the guts will be cleaned and lightly oiled as with any good firearm. But this finish couldn't be easier to apply, maintain and will look even better with age and use.