New life for an old model 11 remington!!!!!!!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > New life for an old model 11 remington!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default New life for an old model 11 remington!!!!!!!

I found this old 30ish Remington model 11 in 20 Gage for sale cheap and just had to have it. It was missing the barrel and the action would not cycle is the reason for the low price. the other good thing is it has the 5 shot mag tube, not the standard 3 shot tube!
I brought it home tore it apart and found out the action tube, spring and plunger were bent/kinked, broke, and cracked. I replaced all the broken parts and that fixed the action. I then went on a barrel search and located a 1930ish 26" browning barrel (modified choke) I put it all together and did a test fire and it worked out perfectly.

I striped the gun and took it to my smith who under duress agreed to parkerize
it. I stripped the stock and forearm re-cut the checkering and did an oil finish only. Hating a 26" barrel I had him cut it back to 20" ream and choke it and re-attach the front sight. It turned out better than I hoped, This little shotgun patterns great feels good and due to the weight it shoots smooth and surprisingly fast cycle time. With dove season starting here shortly we will se how it does.

remington-model-11-001.jpg   remington-model-11-002.jpg   remington-model-11-003.jpg   remington-model-11-004.jpg   remington-model-11-005.jpg  

remington-model-11-006.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1211 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Ya done good, feller.

My daddy shot a model 11 12ga for years. Thing kicked like a mile, but it was because the stock had been shortened for him as a young'un and he never bothered to replace it. Dang thing would also throw an extra round on you every know and then. Too bad it got stolen in the mid 70's. I would love to have it as a keepsake.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

My dad di not have many if any guns. Now the man that raised me, My grandfather was a game warden in Allagash Maine from the teens til the late 50`s, Sad thing I did not end up with a single gun of his. He left most of them with family in Maine and his EDC a Winchester 1892 rifle in 30wcf is my cousins hands. He left the white tail mount my grandmother won the big buck award with in the 50`s as well.
Thank you for the compliment.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Nice gun. Sounds like it was a fun project.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

I have a 1906 Remington Autoloader (Pre-Model 11),but it's the same John Browning-Browning A5 shotgun. It was in pretty bad shape when I bought it,all of the metal was pitted pretty bad. I disassembled it,and bead blasted everything,and then we decided to parkerize it.
It had the original stock and forearm still,and all the serial #'s match the receiver. I stripped and refinished the original wood,but it turn out so nice,I decided to fit a set of composite A5 stock and forearm to it to preserve the wood set,and keep them from getting cracked from shooting it.

I love this ole shotgun,but being an inertia recoil shotgun,it will get your attention after a few shots. It's the 3rd gun from the left in the picture.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 518 Times on 316 Posts

Nice job and a great find . But why did you cut the barrel down ?
Cause I like a longer barrel for upland bird hunting I feel it balances out the gun better and has a better swing to it .

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

IF you do research on barrel lengths every caliber (rifle/shotgun/pistol) has a barrel length that allows all the powder to burn and get all the "umph" out of the shell.
20-21 inches gets everything the 2 1/2-3/4 shell has to give. Add more length and you reduce the FPS. The longer barrel gives you a longer sighting plane.
Also glad to see that someone else likes parkerizing as well (TEXHILLBILLY) I would love to put synthetic stock and forearm on mine.