Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > New Kydex Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New Kydex Hobby

So a few months ago I wanted to get a kydex holster, but they can be on the pricey side and depending on who I got it from the wait times were outrageous.
I found a few tutorials on doing it yourself and it seemed easy enough. Here are a few that i have done. Now, friends want them.
glock-19.jpg

beretta-px4.jpg

walther-ppq.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti
So a few months ago I wanted to get a kydex holster, but they can be on the pricey side and depending on who I got it from the wait times were outrageous.
I found a few tutorials on doing it yourself and it seemed easy enough. Here are a few that i have done. Now, friends want them.
That's really nice work man. Are you taking orders ?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I have been interested in making them mainly because what I want doesn't exist. Where do you buy your kydex and in what thickness have you tried any leather backed what setup do you use to apply pressure what temp and time works for you.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gun-runner: Kinda sorta...Its a hobby now, but yeah i can take an order.

I have Blue guns for an M&P, Glock 19 and Walther PPQ. I can also do pretty much whatever pistol I can get a blue gun for. I did make some mag holders or my ar but it didn't turn out so well and haven't had a chance to make a new one. But I know what I need to do to fix it. I also cannot do a weapon with light. manly because I don't have a weapon light.

I sold several to my friends for $45, which is the low end of what you can get them online for.

I have just been having fun doing it, if I start selling them on a larger scale I will add lights to the inventory.

I got pretty much all of the material from www.knifekits.com
for the front and backs I use .08 and the belt loops I use .125
i think to get started I spent about 100 bucks on materials. That was the rivets, foam, screws, rivet guide, and the kydex itself. I had the toaster oven, bench sander, and i have a hand jewelers saw which I use to cut the shape...kind of like a small copping saw. If you want to do it and have any questions just ask.