New barrel for old friend
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > New barrel for old friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New barrel for old friend

I have a Remington 760 from the early 60's that was my father's. The gun holds a ton of sentimental value for me, but it's chambered in 30.06 and I'm a little more recoil sensitive than I used to be. I wondered if it's possible to rebarrel this gun in 25.06? I've never done any gunsmithing, but if the 25 is a 30 necked down, I wouldn't think you'd have to change action or even clips. The gun was chambered in 257 Roberts from the factory, but I'm not crazy about that particular caliber's ballistics. Would it be possible to have a barrel made. Practical doesn't really concern me, I just like roaming around the woods with this gun. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3101 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Some aftermarket barrel makers may already have some made up in that caliber. I have a Ruger Mdl 77 in 25-06. Last time I was shooting, others at the far end of the range had to ask what I was shooting as they were "feeling" it when I shot. Recoil is not bad (even with my shoulder that is still waiting for repair surgery).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

A more practical remedy might be to try some of the low-recoil or Managed-Recoil ammo for the 30/06. Would most likely solve your problem without a very costly barrel change. Many ammo makers make this ammo and it kills stuff just as dead.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #4

yes sir, have discovered managed recoil ammo, but also wanted to make gun a little more versatile as well, thought 30.06 kinda heavy for coyotes, etc?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #5

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

While many 760's are fairly accurate rifles, they just are not what someone pictures as a varmint rifle(regardless of caliber). You can buy another whole rifle for what you will pay for that barrel change(it is NOT a DIY project). IMHO just keep the 30/06 and buy another rifle.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm not sure if you can still get them but there are 50 or 55 grain accelerators made for the 06 that would probably be more than adaquate for yotes. You could buy a lot of them for the cost of a new barrel and recoil would be very manageable. That is the beauty of a 30.06

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.