Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Need next build ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need next build ideas

Hey guys, new to the forum here and after sucessfully completing a build of 6 Romak (Romy G's) this past weekend with some friends, we are looking for our next purchase to build. Overall we spent about $400 a piece on the Romy's and were looking for something that could be had in parts kits for about $500 a pop. Any ideas or know of any places that specialize in parts kits?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

wow, 400 ea?? last ones i built were 175 ea and i thought that was expensive.

some careful shopping may get you an ar for somewhere in the 500 range.

there are fal kits to be had that are pretty much bolt together, but your going to be looking at about 700+ to do one today. kits are up to about 300-350 now, same for receivers, then add in 100 for 922r parts.

other than that, your either going to be looking at a hell of a lot of either money, or time with your verticle mill, metal lathe, and welder.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #4

Sorry, i should have been more specific. $400 each included the kit, new american receiver, 500 rds of ammo each, (5) 30 rd clips, (1) 12 ton harbor freight shop press, rivoting jigs and all the refinishing stuff needed for the build. The gun itself was prolly around $200-$225

GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPIO86jTrQQ

Last edited by acedakilla; 03-12-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #5

An FAL or an Aussie L1A1 would be nice. I have been looking for kits and such, but everything seems to be either out of stock or a mismatch of metric and inch parts. There are so many variants of these guns that it would be quite easy to mix up and have nothing but a pile of steel ****. Any good websites that you know of? I am not super concerned with making this 922R compliant as it will never be sold and will be for personal use only.

GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #6

922r compliance maters not if you keep it or sell it. if you assemble an ak or fal with more than 10 listed foreign parts, you are in violation of the law. period.

best case scenerio is that the rifle is confiscated as contraband. but if they can prove that you assembled it as contraband, then you are guilty of a crime. and yes, if you use magazine parts as compliance, and you insert a foreign magazine, you have just "assembled" a piece of contraband.

gun parts guy sells fal compliance parts, i beleive he used to sell kits too, although they were a little higher than ther places, but he REALLY knows his ****, and will be glad to tell you whatever you need to know about what parts will work with what you have when ordering.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #7

Sorry for the mix up, i was refering to giving the gun a serial number and all the proper stuff to sell it. Most likely the trigger group and receiver will be american so that should take care of the 922R compliance. i will check out GunPartsGuy. Thanks for the heads up.

In addition to the FAL, here are another couple of items that my buddies have mentioned interest in building:

SVD / PSL / Dragunov
AMD 65
Yugo M70
Czech VZ58
Finnish M31

Anyone have any experience with any of these and which would you suggest and why?

GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 03:44 AM   #8

with the exception of the suomi, theyre all ak's too.

the vz is the farthest from the ak design, and will require a milled receiver.

next furthest from teh ak design is the psl. i would imagine its not too easy finding 922r parts for either of these, as i have rarely seen them.

the amd and the m70 are no different than the romys. you will need a different flat, and the amd will need a muzzle device permanently attached.

getting into the suomi will be in the area i mentioned of a lot of money or a lot of time machining.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedakilla View Post
Sorry for the mix up, i was refering to giving the gun a serial number and all the proper stuff to sell it. Most likely the trigger group and receiver will be american so that should take care of the 922R compliance. i will check out GunPartsGuy. Thanks for the heads up.

In addition to the FAL, here are another couple of items that my buddies have mentioned interest in building:

SVD / PSL / Dragunov
AMD 65
Yugo M70
Czech VZ58
Finnish M31

Anyone have any experience with any of these and which would you suggest and why?
AMDs are cool but I did mine as a a super short pistol.
It is made from a cut barrel kit using the cut barrel stub.
No need to worry about 922R compliance on this one.
Barrel length is about 3 3/4 in.
Here's some pictures.

It is called a guide rod build, because of the rod needed to guide the bolt carrer to keep it from kicking up and out of the receiver when fired.