Need help with first build.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Need help with first build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Need help with first build.

I have been looking at all the variations of lowers and uppers and just everything to put an AR together. I have absolutely no clue where to start. I saw on a deals thread that spikes stripped tactical lowers are on sale and didn't know if I should grab one or 2 while they are. I guess my real question would be is do any uppers fit into lowers and do any lower part kits fit into any stripped lowers? Should I just buy the stripped lowers now and then find a lower part kit that I like and put that into it or should I just buy the stripped lower and parts kit at the same time? Also, if anyone can point me in a good direction on where to get started with all of this I would be thankful. I didn't see a sticky or else I would have referred to that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I watch the classified ads. Recently, I watched a rifle get posted, and it hung, and hung,,,the guy wanted too much for it. He reposted it twice,,,it was a DPMS A15 with Bushnell scope. Finally he got it down under 1000$ and I called him and he lived a block from my daughter, so I drove there, and met with him and finally we settled on $700, and he ended up throwing in 400 rounds of ammo and 4 extra magazines.

This state requires no paperwork so I got it with no papers, and no tax. Perhaps you could find a deal like that, I see them come and go in the classifieds.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is a very nice deal. Got pictures of that? I know that there are deals all of the time. I would like to try and build one. I see people talking all of the time about how they like what they built and I am sure that I would definitely appreciate it more from all the time and effort I would put into making it work properly and look good. I see that Uppers are harder to put together and need special tools but lowers are pretty simple. You just have to have the time and work at it.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

corey, have you read the stickies in the AR section.. There is a ton of great info in there from some very knowledgeable members.

I would strongly suggest building one if you have a little bit of mechanical ability and a few basic tools. You will gain much more insight and respect for the Ar platform by building then just buying one off the shelf.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

My first one at the shop to build a lower took me about an hour to figure out all the little tips and tricks. Now I can punch one out in about 20-30 minutes tops. YouTube it! The internet is your friend! I would buy the lower and parts kit at the same time. #1 you cut down shipping costs and it gives you time to work on it while you're waiting for your other parts to come in. Lowers are a dime a dozen but take your time picking up a quality upper. If you need any help on something you can't figure out, feel free to pm me

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
My first one at the shop to build a lower took me about an hour to figure out all the little tips and tricks. Now I can punch one out in about 20-30 minutes tops. YouTube it! The internet is your friend! I would buy the lower and parts kit at the same time. #1 you cut down shipping costs and it gives you time to work on it while you're waiting for your other parts to come in. Lowers are a dime a dozen but take your time picking up a quality upper. If you need any help on something you can't figure out, feel free to pm me
^^
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill
I watch the classified ads. Recently, I watched a rifle get posted, and it hung, and hung,,,the guy wanted too much for it. He reposted it twice,,,it was a ...

This state requires no paperwork so I got it with no papers, and no tax. Perhaps you could find a deal like that, I see them come and go in the classifieds.
W.C.,

Just to clarify, since sites like craigslist don't allow the posting of firearms, are you referring ro actual newspaper classifieds, or is their another classified site that you are referring to? Specifics would really be appreciated for those that simply can't afford full price on a rifle.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
W.C.,

Just to clarify, since sites like craigslist don't allow the posting of firearms, are you referring ro actual newspaper classifieds, or is their another classified site that you are referring to? Specifics would really be appreciated for those that simply can't afford full price on a rifle.
^^
I think he is referring to the classifieds on this site. I check them every now and then but not many people use them.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx
^^
I think he is referring to the classifieds on this site. I check them every now and then but not many people use them.
We have classifieds? Wow, learn something new every day! I'd much rather deal with other members than just a random person, especially when dealing with firearms.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yessir. There are on-site classifieds. Scroll to the top of the page, there is a blue bar that stretches across the screen about 3 inches down. It says "home, forum, reviews,...., classifieds. I check up on them every now and then. You should do the same. You can find some nice deals on there. Good luck.