Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Need Custom Foam Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Need Custom Foam Suggestions

I need to find some good shock absorbing foam I can customize for several cases I will be putting together... for everything from audio and camera gear to a handgun, clips and ammo to a telescope and accessories. I have never done any projects like this so any suggestions would be appreciated. I suppose I will need several layers of one or two inches to get the depth I will need for the telescope and just maybe glue and stack them as it would be much easier than trying to cut for a depth of about ten inches. I have not looked at foam manufactures or dealers because I figure I will get better starting points from feedback here. I do want the fit to be snug... especially for the handgun so the foam that has per perforated "pop out" areas doesn't sound too appealing to me. I am guessing after traces the items on paper using an x acto knife would be the way to go. Suggestions? Thanks!

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Foamfactory.com. They even have the pick and pluck stuff.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Xacto isnt the best way. It will work but it will not look very professional. Hot wire is what you will need. You can google it. You can even make them fairly easily with a few pieces you can get here and there. Most folks dont do layers, or at least I never have, Get the depth you need, cut out the piece and then cut the plug to the depth you want to keep.
Sme folks like using an electric carving knife and freezing the foam. I have never tried it that way, but I have seen some results and they looked very good.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Get a hot knife from the craft store for straight cuts. And an adjustable hole saw for circles.

No offense and none taken

ryevick Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 33

A serrated blade steak knife works quite well for smooth cuts in foam. Some folks even use the electric versions.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts

I have used my electric fish fileting knife.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Still researching... I am thinking cutting for the telescope optical tube which is about 17" long by about 9-10" in diameter is where it will be tricky, to get a long and deep, curved cut out of a block of foam may be tricky...

I also will need to research some quality, but not too expensive cases... they will all need to be shock absorbent themselves with lockable features... I would prefer not to have to use pad locks, especially for the handgun... that case in particular must be a good lockable case... I may also check out finger print locking for that but I'm pretty sure that will be too pricey. Will probably have to go with some type of standard spinning numerical locks as seen on briefcases.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle