Nail Polish Gun Detailing... Spontaneous Combustion? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Nail Polish Gun Detailing... Spontaneous Combustion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7024 Times on 4227 Posts
Likes Given: 8463

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Shouldn't have a problem as long as it's dry.
Trip is correct.

I think you did a great job. I really like it.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #12

Thank you to everybody for the kind words :-)

unclebear: I first cleaned all of the components with hoppes #9 to ensure I was working with a smooth surface that was free of dirt. I then used nail polish to paint over the engraved text areas, as well as the slide serrations. I waited about 30 minutes to an hour for the polish to dry (depending on how thick of a coat I laid down), and gently wiped the polish off with a NON-ACETONE nail polish remover. The engraved text areas were easier to clean up because the paint was able to sit in the grooves and I could just gently wipe the surface right over them. The slide serrations were much more tricky, and I wound up using q-tips and toothpicks to do the fine detailing. Then just repeat as many times as necessary. The pink came out great by the 2nd coat. The green was a different brand of nail polish and took about 20 coats to get to where it is right now. I'm considering adding a few more coats to make it a little more vibrant and to cover up some of the flaws I missed initially.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What is there to burn?? The flammable solvent has evaporated.

I thought this was going to be about throwing some solvent soaked rags into a bucket after applying a BUNCH of nail polish and having a fire. That would be more feasable than this situation.

PS just read above post.

Dont be surprised if it peels. If metal mags clean w/ the acetone or break cleaner before painting. I have not used Hoppes in a long time but it seems it is a petroleum base(oil) and the paint wont stick too well. . Plastic--dont bother painting.

Last edited by langenc; 03-28-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #14

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

My buddy used blue nail polish to detail his .22 rifles' bull barrel flutes...no problem there as its a .22 and a bull barrel lol