My Remington 700 Target Rifle - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My Remington 700 Target Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #51
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Looks like you got that thing dialed in.
That is a nice rifle that you have,and I know you enjoy shooting it.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #52
RGH

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Greetings,

Thank you for posting the progress on your project rifle. Excellent results. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Boy, I love these old guns.....
RGH

Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #53

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Looks like you got that thing dialed in.
That is a nice rifle that you have,and I know you enjoy shooting it.
Yeah Tx, the rifle is pretty close to where I need it. Possibly move the scope back just a tad for when I have it on higher magnifications or maby remove a couple of stack plates off butt.

The rifle outshoots me and probably will for some time to come. I do have a fairly long way to go becoming more proficient at this long range shooting. It is not as easy as some may think it may be and again, I have a fairly long way to go becoming more proficient in this endevour. I find where weaknesses for me have to be addressed in techniques (Positional, trigger, wind reading and corrections) start really showing themselves about the 400 or 500 yard line. From there to 1000 yards gets real interesting.

Since I finished this rifle I havn't had much time to go shoot it, however, it looks from now to the end of this year I'll have the time to get sorly needed trigger time to work out some of my shooting errors.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-01-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #54

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default scope for Remington project

I would save my money for a good Leupold. Have used them for 30 years, and saw first hand in hunting camps and shooting ranges how well they perform. Leupold will hold up under heavy sustained recoil. Your choice on the type and magnification. LOL

Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloMan View Post
I would save my money for a good Leupold. Have used them for 30 years, and saw first hand in hunting camps and shooting ranges how well they perform. Leupold will hold up under heavy sustained recoil. Your choice on the type and magnification. LOL
Well... I do own several Leupold scopes, VXIII's, and they are quite excellent IMO. I actually considered a Leupold MK IV for this build and having a different reticle put in it than Leupold offered in their catalog. This would have jumped the price up for the Leupold to well over $2000.00. That would have been O.K.

Then I was researching other scopes and had been looking at the Premier Reticles scopes and the cost of these as well as Schmidt-Bender and U.S. Optics were well within the budget for my build. Finally I was able to get behind a rifle with a Premier Reticles scope and I absolutely fell in love with the turret knobs and the reticle of this scope. You see, I use reading glasses and can't see squat within 18" of my mug. Beyond that distance I still see very good without glasses and am only to use glasses for reading and up close. The turret knobs of this scope have a very distinct click every 0.1 Mill and an extra heavy click at every 1.0 Mill. This works extremely well for me as I can feel and count the clicks when I need to. Also the reticle was a near match for what I was going to have done to the Leupold MK IV.

As for magnification, I find myself using 17 to 18 power out to about the 600 yard line and from the 800 yard line on I find that I'm using 22 to 23 power out to 1000 yards. So the magnification range of this scope has been working good for me.

Also, I purchased this scope new for several hunderd dollars less than it was listed for at the time I bought it.

Now for my next build I'll be building something in 6.5mm with a BAT reciever and I may use a Night Force or maybe another Premier Reticles scope as I can get a good deal on them. All these scopes mentioned above including the Leupold are good scopes for what they are and all have excellent warantees. Schmidt Bender, however, would have to be sent to Germany, as I have been told, for factory repairs.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-22-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #56
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Diabloman,Do some research on optics,and then you will see that Leupold is on the lower tier when it comes to long range shooting optics.
The scope MRM14 has is a very,very high quality scope,more than any that Leupold produces.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #57

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

heres a good scope. March rifle scopes Australia & New Zealand Tactical 8-80 x 56 rifle scope

Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #58

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
That is funny. As MRM has a scope that is head and shoulder above anything Leupold puts out.

Premier started out making Leupolds better. He has one of the top scops on the market for Long range shooting.

March are great scopes. I have only heard of them being used on bench rest gun. Not sure how a march would fare on a rough tactical course of fire that MRM's rifle is built for.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #59

My observations with the guys that I have had the oppertunity to shoot with are that the majorty of them are using Night Force. As of the year before last the Premier Reticle 5-25X56 scope comes in a close second to the Night Force users and the Premier Reticle scope is gaining ground with more of the Night Force users going to the Premier Reticle scope. There are a few that use Schmidt Bender and US Optics. Also, there is a couple of guys using Lupys that have been modified using different reticles than offered by Leupold.

The Premier Riticle scope is a beast when it comes to being able to take a beating in the rough tactical course of fire that we put these rigs through.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-01-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #60

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I think mrm (Mr. Scope SNOB ) even hammered a nail with his PR scope Now thats tough.....