My Remington 700 Target Rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My Remington 700 Target Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You may like it but that is way to much going on in a reticle for me to deal with.

I think it pulls your eye away from the center when the reticle should draw your eye to the center. But then again it took me how long to even think about buying an AR....

It is a sweet scope you got there.
CP, the reticle layout in the pdf file that shows what is the reticle, is overly pronounced from the real deal. Yes the "christmas tree" layout below the horizontal duplex line is there but is much less pronounced than the drawing of it depicts in the link I posted for it. Where I shoot we have to deal with the coastal winds coming across the valley into the foothills and it is usually unpredictable gusty there. This reticle layout really helps with windage compensation between shots wihout twisting the windage knob of the scope for every shot sent. It's becoming for me more important for quickness in proper aquizition of target (at least somewhat closer to the X ring) when it comes to windage adjustments between shots than it has been for the last year or so of doing this longer range stuff for where I shoot. Milled glass with milled knobs eliminates the extra time for in head or written or mill dot master math associated with usual mill glass to MOA knobs scope layout calculations.

Another thing I have to say about this scope is it's weight is 39 oz. It's a regular brick shat house. Combined weight with the 16 oz. ring weight has added alot of weight to this rifle I didn't properly account for. I'm still under the 22 lb. weight limit for F(O) class NRA but it's going to be around 2-1/2 lbs heavier than the weight I was shooting for (no pun intended). Until I get the rings and mount the scope I wont kinow for sure but I think I have built near a 19 lb. rifle.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #22

Default Rifle Weight

O.K. So I finally got a scale and weighed this rifle with scope and added the scope ring weight. The rifle with bi-pod, empty 5 rd. mag, and +20 moa scope mount weighs 14.2 lbs. The scope weighs 2.4 lbs and the badger rings weigh .53 lbs for a total weight of 17.1 lbs.

The total weight is not as heavy as I thought it was going to be.

For comparison my M1A with bi-pod and empty 20 rd. mag. weighs 11.6 lbs. The scope, mount, and rings for the M1A weigh 2.4 lbs for a total comparitive weight of 14 lbs.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #23

044.jpg045.jpg

O.K. So I finally had a day off and my inch pound torque wrench arrived and I finally mounted the scope. Here is a couple of pics with the scope mounted.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #24

Default 1st day at range

I finally got time to get to the range today with this rifle. I was pleasently pleased with the first time out results and money I spent to get to this point in shooting the thing.

When I was breaking in the barrel as per Kriegers instructions (or close to it) I had no indications of copper during the break in cycle. I fired 20 one round cycles and clean, then 5 five round cycles and clean,and then 2 ten round cycles and clean and had no indications of copper. To me absolutely amazing IMO. I was shooting Winchester Super X GXP 3 180 Gr. Power point and a couple of boxes of Federal Power Shok 180 Gr. ammo. These were intended to break in barrel only. The Winchester Super X turned out to be the most accutate of the two brands.

I only got out to 100 yards during this trip as I was concentreating on break in only.

I got, if I had kept more detalied info with targets, a tad less than 1/2" groups with the Winchester ammo.

The next time I go out I'll be shooting my own loads of 210 gr. berger bullets with Nosler brass , CCI 250 Primers and a mix of various grain weights of IMR 4350 and IMR 7828 ssc powder. I also have some RE-22 to try as well.

I found out taday that with the + 20 MOA cant mount that it wouldn't zero on the cross hairs at 100 yards. No more down adjustment in scope. (300 Win. Mag.) So I ended up guestmating to 1 and about 7/10 ths on the mill dots on my scope to get to bulls eye on target for 100 yards. (Learning scope use with this trip---COOL!) I spent alot of money on this scope, which worried me for its functionl use verse the expense, and IMO, after today, it rules. I feel money well spent here.

The rifle has a stock bolt knob which I found out, after today, has to be changed out to a "tactical knob". The action was a litltle "clunky" with the stock knob. I have a local guy that will do this.

Had to add 3/4" worth of stack plates to correct pull length as well. For a total of 15-1/2 ". I guess you could call me a knuckle dragger.

Oh, for those here that dont like or wont use muzzle brakes; All I have to say is that the felt recoil to me seemed quite a bit less than that from my .223 cal. Mini-14. Enough said.

I have the best target of what I shot today but it has some flyers and when I finally got it to group tighter at 100, it was at the end of the day and I was on the last fireing cycle at the range. So I have 10 rounds with one large hole in the group. I may post it, but I really want to get a grouping off my developed loads to post with the "On Target" software I have.

Well thats it for now and more posts to follow when I get time to go to range.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-20-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #25

I got some help from one of the long range guys in the club where I shoot with my scope not zeroing at 100 yards today and now it will zero on the cross hair at 100. I got somewhat confused with the turret and its toggle set up and how it worked for max and minimum adjustment on it's upper and lower range in elevation.

Kinda' felt like a "boob noob" with this scope but was greatful for the help.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #26

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Nice looking stick!

That is the same scope my buddy put on his LRB M25, and I love it. Nice choice.

That reticule is really useful at long range, especially in the wind. Similar to the reticule the USMC Scout Snipers are using. Sort of a modified Pride Fowler, but I think Horus Vision is doing them for the Marines S&B's.

I can't wait to see what it does with some good handloads. Chop chop. Ha.

And the stock paint is kinda cool.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #27

Likes Given: 2

I like it!!! who cares what others think, you worked it and don't pay no never mind. Did I mention I liked it !!!! nice work

Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Nice looking stick!

That is the same scope my buddy put on his LRB M25, and I love it. Nice choice.

That reticule is really useful at long range, especially in the wind. Similar to the reticule the USMC Scout Snipers are using. Sort of a modified Pride Fowler, but I think Horus Vision is doing them for the Marines S&B's.

I can't wait to see what it does with some good handloads. Chop chop. Ha.

And the stock paint is kinda cool.
Took her out Sunday (yesterday) to dink around with the scope. I loaded 20 rounds of the 210 gr. bullets and the new Nozler brass. I loaded these with 64 grains of IMR 4350. At this time I didn't change the seating depth of the ammo to my chamber space. I loaded the cartridges to SAMMI specs. I used this RCBS case guaging tool to measure bullet run-out on my loads and sorted out 7 rounds of these loads that had at or less than .001" run out. The rest of the 20 rounds loads were between .0025" and .003" or so. I shot the last few of the 180 gr. Winchester ammo before I used my ammo. My 210 gr. loads produced slightly tighter groups than the factory ammo at 100 yards. Where I really could see the difference was at the 200 yard distance. I was able to group 3 rounds back to back in the X ring at about 1" @ 200 yards and that was with the cartridges I sorted out that had the least amout of run-out. The cartridges that had more run-out grouped not as tight (about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2"), but were a tad better than the Winchester factory ammo at this distance. I seemed to have a bit of trouble as I kept landing some rounds to the right of the X ring into the 10 ring (2" to 3") at this distance and at the 300 yard distance as well. It's probably just me and I need more practice with this new rifle.

Next Saturday I'm going to try to make it out to the practice session that this long range club will be doing for their match on Sunday and get some help with my shooting techniques especially in the prone position. I'm pretty sure I have a few errors to be corected. The practice with critique will be a good thing.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #29

Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

That is a damn good looking rifle you have there. I like shooting my Savage FLP 300WM,and working up the perfect load is just as much fun as shooting it.

Have fun shooting that rifle. THB

Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #30

Default Rifle Update

So, I went to my first 1000 yard practice session with my new rifle Sturday May 1st. Rifle shoots good with the exeption of the Fox Rover muzzel brake I had installed by Krieger. This brake is an untimed brake and is ported 360 degrees around the entire brake.
Well, I knew early in the morning when I was verifying my zero @ 100 before the practice session, that I was going to be in trouble the rest of the day.

In the prone position (rifle barrel close to ground) this brake threw back mangled bermuda grass, dirt, and small gravel into my face. It also fouled the lens of my scope with dirt and dust. I mean to tell ya', this damn brake was diging a small trench under the muzzel near 3" deep and 5" wide every 3 rounds.

Anyhow, I figured in for a penny in for a pound. So my rifle and I went to the 1000 yard range with the NCPPRC club. First I pulled targets in the pits for about 2 hours for the first shooting group. Good stuff to become familar with as I will have to start doing this on a fairly regular basis.

Then it was my groups time to go to the fireing lines and shoot.

The 200, 300, 500, and 600 yard fireing lines were good as I was able to hang the muzzel of my rifle over the berms when shooting. The pea gravel at these lines flying back at me and the shooters on either side of me was minimal to none and I didn't have to reposition my rifle and bipod very much.

Then came the 800 yard line. This is where the Fox River muzzel brake showed it's evil side. The 800 yard fireing line is relatively flat and there was little to no berm to hang the end of my barrel over. First shot, the stinging sensation of little pea gravels pelting my face, the scope lens nearly totally opaque from the dust covering it, having to reposition the rifle, and the shooters on both sides of me exclaiming they were being showered with gravel. I was going to pull off and quit, but the guys on both sides of me said don't quit and to go on. So I did. Brushed off the scope lens with the scope brush/cleaner and took a second shot. Same as first with gravel pelting me in the face and showering everywhere.

At this time I called the R.O. and indicated I was done. Went to clean the lens of my scope before I put the rifle away and there was a micro chip in the lens from the gravel being blasted back.

Lessons learned:

This type of brake, although a good one ,is for hunting only in a standing position.

A brake must be used for this caliber and disiplin of prone shooting but it must be of a design that is timed and ported at the 3 o clock positions only. (horizontal)

And I should have went with my initial gut instinct and pulled off the 800 yard line after the first shot. I may not have trashed the lens of my scope.

I have a proper brake coming from Elite Iron, their "Max" model muzzel brake. I'll time the threads of the brake myself as I have access to my friends machine shop, I'll parkerize it to match barrel finish, and Premier Reticles will have my scope in a couple of days to repair it.

That all being said, I still had one of the best times ever shooting with the guys from NCPPRC and will be back out there as soon as I correct and repair my rig.

Last edited by mrm14; 05-04-2010 at 02:35 AM.