My Remington 700 Target Rifle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My Remington 700 Target Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 372 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 33

O.K. So I spoke to C&S and bought the Premiere Reticle 5-25X56mm scope and the Badger rings to go with it. The scope will be in, in about 10 days. I almost bought the Schmidt Bender scope but found out that the Premiere scope was designed by the same outfit that designed the Schmidt Bender scope. Also, if theres a warranty issue you have to send the Schmidt Bender to Germany for repair which can take up to 3 months. The Premiere has a lifetime warranty.

Alas, the cost of this rifle is continueing to go up, however, I'm still within my alloted budget for it.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
O.K. So I spoke to C&S and bought the Premiere Reticle 5-25X56mm scope and the Badger rings to go with it. The scope will be in, in about 10 days. I almost bought the Schmidt Bender scope but found out that the Premiere scope was designed by the same outfit that designed the Schmidt Bender scope. Also, if theres a warranty issue you have to send the Schmidt Bender to Germany for repair which can take up to 3 months. The Premiere has a lifetime warranty.

Alas, the cost of this rifle is continueing to go up, however, I'm still within my alloted budget for it.
I think either one will would have done you good. Can't wait to see your set up and just how good it shoots.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IS that a factory rem 700 long action with a bit of work or is it some high dollar aftermarket varient?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
IS that a factory rem 700 long action with a bit of work or is it some high dollar aftermarket varient?
No, this is a stock Remington reciever that has been worked over as much as possble. The only things stock of this rifle are the reciever housing and the bolt. The frieing pin is a PT&G. I stripped all other things off before build. In retrospect for only a few hundred dollars more I could have had an aftermarket custom billet reciever and had the rifle built from that. As this a starter rifle for me to get proficient beyond 600 yards I didn't see the advantage of going to a billet custom reciever. The next rifle I build, which most be likely the end of this year or a tad longer from now, will have a custom aftermarket billet reciever and be chambered in either 6mm or 6.5mm BR. Not decided yet. I am and have been a big bore guy for quite a number of years now. I know not practical for scoring points in competition overall, but I started with what I know.

BTW what do you think of my gel coat color selection for this A-5 stock? Some local here think it's cool others think I've commited a crime for what I did with color selection for this kind of stock.

Last edited by mrm14; 01-19-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
No, this is a stock Remington reciever that has been worked over as much as possble. The only things stock of this rifle are the reciever housing and the bolt. The frieing pin is a PT&G. I stripped all other things off before build. In retrospect for only a few hundred dollars more I could have had an aftermarket custom billet reciever and had the rifle built from that. As this a starter rifle for me to get proficient beyond 600 yards I didn't see the advantage of going to a billet custom reciever. The next rifle I build, which most be likely the end of this year or a tad longer from now, will have a custom aftermarket billet reciever and be chambered in either 6mm or 6.5mm BR. Not decided yet. I am and have been a big bore guy for quite a number of years now. I know not practical for scoring points in competition overall, but I started with what I know.

BTW what do you think of my gel coat color selection for this A-5 stock? Some local here think it's cool others think I've commited a crime for what I did with color selection for this kind of stock.
Jealousy is an ugly thing. I think it looks incredible.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ya i really like it. Its not much of a "tactical" look but it looks sweet for competition......Nice Build

Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What are you planning to do with your bolt handle, cause im trying to decide what to do with mine. In your pictures it looks like you kept the stock bolt handle and knob?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
What are you planning to do with your bolt handle, cause im trying to decide what to do with mine. In your pictures it looks like you kept the stock bolt handle and knob?
For now I'm going to leave the bolt handle stock. I dont see the merit for a tactical bolt handle on a target only rifle at this time. However, I may go for a tactical bolt handle later. PT&G bolt assembly with a choice of several bolt handles would be the way I'd go. They say that the PT&G bolt assemblies can improve accuracy of the rifle.

I really want to see what a trued factory bolt assembly can do before I change out the bolt in my rifle for the PT&G bolt.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #19

Default The scope for the rifle showed up today

UPS just delivered the scope for this rifle today. I should have the rings by the end of this week or Monday. The scope is the Premier Heritage 5-25X56mm and the rings that are not here yet are the Badger Ordance 34mm 1.125" height rings.

Scope info: http://premierreticles.com/pdfs/2009-HT5-25x.pdf

Scope Reticle: http://premierreticles.com/pdfs/2009-5-25xxGen2XR.pdf

Gen II reticle use: Http://premierreticles.com/pdfs/2009-HowToGen2.pdf

Last edited by mrm14; 02-02-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #20

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

You may like it but that is way to much going on in a reticle for me to deal with.

I think it pulls your eye away from the center when the reticle should draw your eye to the center. But then again it took me how long to even think about buying an AR....

It is a sweet scope you got there.