Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   My mauser =D (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-mauser-d-49751/)

Lessdragon 10-13-2011 02:01 AM

My mauser =D

Not sure if this is the right area for this or not but any who I was wondering if someone could tell me if changing out all the furniture from my old czec verzion 24 8mm mauser rifle would require any kind of gun smithing know how. I would really like a different look for it. What im thinking might be a problem is something like headspacing?? Or anything. Im complete uneducated in these ways =D
Thank you for your time!

dteed4094 10-13-2011 11:39 PM

I can't for the life of me see what furniture would have to do with headspace.

Lessdragon 10-14-2011 12:18 AM

The head space was just an example of something that could be a problem. I have no idea about these things =D

Sarge22 10-16-2011 01:17 AM

As far as what it sounds like you want to do, the work is pretty straight forward. Pull out action, put in new stock, brag you're a gunsmith. Make sure the stock you buy is already inletted (wood/plastic carved out to accept action), unless you want to show off your mad wood carving skills. I would highly recommend you get a copy of the book "Gunsmithing Made Easy" by Bryce Towsley. It steps you through a lot of gun "pimpin'" projects. Don't be intimidated by the fact that it's a gun. It's just a collection of parts like anything else. If you can fry a hamburger you should have the intelligence to handle doing cosmetic work.

Lessdragon 10-16-2011 06:38 AM

When you say action does that mean the bolt the barrel the trigger and all of the other metal pieces associated with a ww2 rifle?

Sarge22 10-17-2011 10:48 PM

Uh... Yes. I don't mean to judge, but maybe you outta' read up some more a'fore going further.

Firearm action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Glossary of firearms terminology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kfox75 10-20-2011 08:46 PM

ATI sells a synthetic stock and scope mount for large ring mausers like yours. It is a drop in and bolt on type kit, with simple instructions. Very easy swap. Last that I knew Cabela's carries them, and most army\navy surplus stores do as well.

P.S. Save the old military parts. Someone else may need them for a restore, or you can put the weapon back to original if you decide to sell it.

JSDenson07 02-22-2012 12:25 AM

The ati stock in question is garbage. I own it on a large ring Turk mauser. I wish I had never bought it. Looks great yet the scope mount works lose and hole no zero. This is the two piece stock that looks like a steyr scout. I went ahead and shortened my barrel and had a new target crown put on it(Do NOT attempt to do this yourself). Check boyds stocks .com

7mmstw 02-25-2012 08:30 AM

Good way to go with a Mauser is a Houge over molded

7mmstw 02-25-2012 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40010

My 7-08 Mauser

And my 300 WM Mauser