My latest gun show find
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My latest gun show find

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default My latest gun show find

I picked up this Sorterized Arisaka m99 for $35 (it also included a new box of Hornandy 7.7mm ammo).
The gun was probably sporterized in the 50's or 60's, it has a nice walnut monte carlo style stock with an ebony fore tip. They shortened and recrowned the barrel and added a custom front sight and a Lyman rear peep sight. The bolt was modified using what looks like the back half of a M1903 Springfield bolt, and a custom safety was added.

I decided to turn this into my next project, here is a list of the things I want to fix:

The recoil pad is very lacking, the LOP is a bit short at 12.5", so a new "grind to fit" recoil pad will be added

Trigger guard is too wide, I will slim it down to give it a more graceful look before polishing it like chrome and hot bluing it

The Cheek weld is a bit big, I will shorten it both in height and length.

I will also thin the comb and add some flutes to the front of it, I will cut two lines for the border of the flutes, one will follow the lines of the pistol grip, the other will follow a straight line towards the toe

I will refinish the stock with B-C Tru-oil and reblue the barrel and action using the rust blue technique. I am in the process of mixing my own nitre bluing salts and if it works I will nitre blue the extractor and the screws/bolts.

The bolt will be polished and engine turned. I think I might make some custom pillars and glass bed the stock (I have to take it apart to see what the innards look like before I decide)

Finally I would like to try my hand at checking.

I figure I only have $35 in the gun and the value in terms of collect-ability is already lost, so I have nothing to lose.

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT; 04-05-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Dearhunter Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 193 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Congrats on the find, its always fun to get a cool project gun for cheap. That sounds like a fun project, cant wait to see the progress. Make sure you post pics.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

Liked 275 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Nice looking gun and a great price, ill give you $40

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
better dead than red

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Good find and deal.
Looks like a good project to have fun and be proud of.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag556 View Post
Congrats on the find, its always fun to get a cool project gun for cheap. That sounds like a fun project, cant wait to see the progress. Make sure you post pics.
I'll try to remember to update this thread, if I do fail in that endeavor, you can check my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/04/latest-gun-show-find.html

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT; 04-08-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 255 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Cool. Looks like a fun project gun.

Love your guns, spend time with them.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2423 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Bandit,

What a find! What is the bore like? But for $35 the parts are worth much more than that!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 255 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you dont take step by step pics of the restoration and post them here for all to see we are going to kick your arse all across town. You dont this kind of stuff under a bushel basket. You share it with the world so that others are inspired and motivated to do. It doesnt matter how you do it, only that you do and that it brings you joy. Share that with everybody.

Love your guns, spend time with them.

People Like This 
Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Bandit,

What a find! What is the bore like? But for $35 the parts are worth much more than that!

The bore is sharp and shiny, it was hard to see at the gun show, but when I got it home I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_guy View Post
If you dont take step by step pics of the restoration and post them here for all to see we are going to kick your arse all across town. You dont this kind of stuff under a bushel basket. You share it with the world so that others are inspired and motivated to do. It doesnt matter how you do it, only that you do and that it brings you joy. Share that with everybody.
Will do, I appreciate your threads as well

Stay tuned, I plan on getting started in the next few weeks