Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > My Homemade Holsters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks everybody.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #12

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
I love the idea of being able to draw with either hand, and the fact that nobody does it any more.
Oh...I wouldn't say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
Hopefully I'll be able to get it figured out. In the mean time, I'm loving the crossdraw.
I love a good crossdraw holster meself! Very nice holster & leather work there sir.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #13

Okay, some people still do it. But it's pretty uncommon.

I'm baffled by the reverse draw. I think with something rounder like an LCR I could find a comfortable position, but I just can't get it to work with the XD SC. Maybe I'll just have to buy another gun

If I find a comfortable position, it's too hard to reach with my off hand, or doesn't conceal well enough. Being 6 feet tall and 155 pounds doesn't help much either.

Who here has tried a reverse draw holster? What worked for you, and what didn't?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Nice Work BlueRidge! How do you mold the Kydex?

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #15

I use a combination of wooden forms, foam, leather gloves, toaster oven, and heat gun. I cut it before molding by scoring it with a utility knife and snapping it. After molding, I trim it up with tin snips then sand the edges by hand. Ideally I would use a bandsaw and a dremel, then touch up by hand. But I make do with what I have. The result is the same, it just takes longer to get there.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #16

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Hellz Yeah! Blue those are some nice looking holsters, very good work indeed. By all means please post up some more of your work.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #17

Tonight I made an all kydex mag holster that can be worn either IWB or OWB. It's just a rough version so nothing too fancy yet. The clip on the final version will be much better than this one; I just wanted to make sure the rest of the holster would function well before I spent too much time on the clip.

In the third picture you can see the rubber bushings and tension screws. This is the first time I've attempted using them. So far, so good.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #18

One of my first projects was a knife sheath for a knife a friend made me a few years ago from a chainsaw bar. It's an IWB sheath with an integral J clip. The clip is pretty secure and almost invisible. The only part of the knife and sheath visible is the handle of the knife sticking up above my belt and that is easily covered by a belt. Too bad concealed fixed blades are illegal in Virginia.

The sheath was the first time I used eyelet rivets. I had to "borrow" them from my wife's craft stockpile.

For years I carried a bulky wallet even though I rarely carry cash. I finally ditched it in favor of this card holder.

It takes up about a fourth of the space. I'm a construction worker by day so I'm up and down and moving constantly. Having a big wallet tended to chafe my leg. Now I just drop the card holder and forget about it. It's comfortable enough that I quite often forget take it out of my pocket at the end of the day.

I made a cell phone case right before I got a new phone. I never completely finished the edges because I replaced the phone but it was a fun experiment. I liked the protection that it gave the phone but didn't care for how hard it was to get the phone out. For as cheap as I can buy a generic cell phone case, I don't think it's worth the trouble of trying to make them out of kydex.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Very nice work. Impressive.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #20

Came up with an in the pocket mag holster. I usually just drop a mag in the back pocket of my jeans, but the mag falls over and bounces around so I never know where in the pocket it's going to be. It also makes sitting uncomfortable if it isn't toward the outside edge of the pocket. The pocket mag holster fits snugly in my pocket and loosely grips the mag just enough to keep it in place. Drawing is effortless and smooth. Not bad for a first try

The best part is this finally gives me a use for my scraps.