Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   My first design thru build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-first-design-thru-build-54186/)

dystopian-gunsmith 12-26-2011 10:11 PM

My first design thru build

5 Attachment(s)
This is my first post, so be kind. I'm 19 years old and have been aspiring to be a gunsmith since I was 8 years old. I was blessed with acess to a machine shop over the last 2 years, and I would say that I am a skilled machinist.
Well here it is, it's a closed bolt hammer fired SMG, semi only of
course. The bolt is the rear of a CZ handgun slide I hacked off. It took eight months from idea to finish, and since no-one has ever made this particular gun before there were problems every step of the way. I live in nevada so it's toatally legal. If any one is interested in this ill post schematics and more pics.

trip286 12-26-2011 10:37 PM

Bwahahaha, that's beautiful! Good job, good job indeed! Its real nice to see such fine work!

2 questions
1. Why no sights or trigger guard?
2. If building one like this, from a blank slate, why such a heavy Thompson influence?

These aren't criticisms, I ask because I'm curious.

Lets get a range report too!

Hesher420 12-27-2011 01:32 AM

Looks amazing! I love making my stuff "mine" by customizing it, but thats a whole new level of custom!

dystopian-gunsmith 12-27-2011 01:37 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Thanks!
No trigger guard or sights because it's not finished yet. Haha I also need to blue it as well. I bought some blue wonder home blueing it hasn't come In yet. But I'll put pics up after its blued.
I choose a Thompson design honestly because I love the old Americana look but my pocketbook hates it! Haha this is the closest thing I'll have to a Thompson for a long time haha. Not including man hours (about 20,000) I only spent 90$ on this project. The barrel was a 9mm blank in the scrap bin at green mountain barrels for 20$. Chambered it myself with a boring bar : ( (not recommended!!) the barrel was originally a foot long, and now it's 9" just to give you an idea of the trouble I had. I documented every step of the way and I have machinists drawings for every part.
As for a range report it's very heavy because I used very thick gauge steel for the upper and lower reciever for safety reasons. And since it shoots the 9mm round with a 9 inch barrel it feels like your shooting a 22. It's much more accurate than I though with groups the size of a fist at 50 yards. here's some more pics

Attachment 36614 this is the blank barrel

Attachment 36616

Here's the bolt with charging lever

Attachment 36615

Here's the rail that the bolt rides on

Attachment 36613

Milling the front grip holder

Attachment 36612

Plan

Attachment 36617

First cuts on barrel

Attachment 36611

Rear view without cover you can see the mainspring rod

trip286 12-27-2011 02:07 AM

You should check into the legalities of making a home built gun fully auto. I'll bet that thing would be awesome on full rock and roll.

Overall, very nice job, I'm thoroughly impressed. Wish I had those skills.

dystopian-gunsmith 12-27-2011 02:35 AM

When I said 20,000 man hours I was joking I probably spent 100 hours designing, and 1000 building. For all you serious people lol : )

unclebear 12-27-2011 02:48 AM

looks pretty good, have you test fired it all? and will you post a video of the test firing?

Jim1611 12-27-2011 01:45 PM

Glad to see someone of the younger crowd interested in the metal trade. Nice work!

JohnJak 12-27-2011 04:51 PM

Nice job. Now go back to work.

dystopian-gunsmith 12-27-2011 11:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's not legal to make it rock n roll without a class 3, but I plan on gettin one some day. Next time I take it out to the desert to shoot ill take some videos. I made a fake suppressor for it as well

Attachment 36670

Here's some practice engraving I did then reverse electro plated with silver. When I get better I plan on doing the whole gun